Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone connected to their msd box like the grid, wirelessly? Curious what you used to do it. Would be great to not have to run 20' usb cables.

Josh

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
This has been talked about a couple of times. I would suggest doing a search on this website.

You can get bluetooth serial chips that literally connect to your USB port and the comm port on your MSD. If I remember right there was a couple of guys here that had success with it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'd love to have a wireless connection, problem is that little mini-usb connector on the box is probably the most troublesome connection. Probably work best if it was a factory option of some sort vs something you plug in to that connector.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a laptop, but it's so much easier to buy long cheap cords off of monoprice and run them in the trailer. Then you have the comfort and privacy while tuning and researching inside your trailer! ;) I'm just tired of running the cords outside, just being a baby I reckon, lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya there John. That's why I usually run them along the awning rails to keep them off the floor. Pain tho.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
use a wireless router(I use a netgear WNR2000 - $50 at best buy), and an IO Gear wireless USB Hub GWIP204(got mine thru newegg), and of course any USB to serial adapters if necessary
you basically connect to the router by WiFi , and then hard wire ethernet cable from the router to the IO Gear box(not using the wifi portion of the IO Gear box because its not made to connect directly to your computer that way).
the IO gear box has 4 USB ports on it, 3 on the rear one on the front
plug it in, and set it up and you can use your USB devices wirelessly

I use it in my car this way and connect to my Holley EFI and my PCS Trans controller
Holley uses USB, PCS uses a USB to serial adapter

works flawlessly

you can power both the router and the IO Gear box from any 12v DC source, just be sure to check your wires to make sire of which side should be the hot and which side should be the ground
I fried a router on accident because the power cables were backwards labeled from each other...Dashed marking on the cable on one was hot and the other cable was ground...

only real issue is that it takes a bit for the router to boot up when you first put power to the car.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Nice - do you leave the USB hub in the car plugged into the EFI all the time?

yes....
sits under the passenger seat...
powers up when I key on....I may change it to power on with the main battery switch instead

Wifi router is password protected and will only accept my mac address for a connection
and the IO gear has a software you have to use to connect to each USB device once you connect to the box. and the wireless function of the IO gear box is only to connect itself to a router wirelessly, not directly to a computer.. you have to connect with a cable if you want to connect your computer direct connect to the IO Gear piece..

so its pretty secure.

and in a pinch...if I need to hardwire the laptop to the EFI, I can just reach under the seat and unplug the USB cable and move it to my laptop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts