Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
Several of you have mentioned the bearings...and oil...on those failed Compstars.

Anyone think an oil-issue would have caused the rods to give up or do you think it was a detonation issue...so severe that it literally was beating the rods? I'm curious as to the failure of those otherwise nice looking Callies Comp-Stars. I'd like to see the piston crowns and a few more bearings myself.
The bearings all looked like that. The pistons show no detonation, I was running alcohol (Rons Flying Toilet) 13.5:1 compression 38 deg timing (MSD crank trigger). Max RPM at any time was 7900 RPM (this engine only had 7 runs on it) Max Pyro was 1230, this is off of a Computech EGT and RPM recorder. The engine was built to tight was one of the problems. As far as what is left that is good, the block is still good (Dart little M) it needs 2 sleeves, also good are 6 pistons and rods, cam can be polished, 7 sets of Crower HIPPO lifters,and the heads escaped unharmed, just bent 2 valves. I am going to bore the block to 4.115" and stroke with a 4" crank for 434ci, all new rotating assembly and put an intercooled Procharger on it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I used Oliver because of the strength and durability. I was not concerned with a lite weight rod, just one that will last. I don't want to worry about rods after 50-200 passes, those numbers are the range of what I have been told an aluminum rod will last. I have the ARP 3.5 bolts too.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.