Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at steel connecting rods for a TT BBC setup, what's the ideal rod to use in a 2,000 hp 7,000 max rpm 555-565 CID BBC?

I've seen carillo, howards billet, eagle with L-19 bolts, lunati pro mod, wondering which would be the best way to go, the less expensive that will do the job would be preferred.

Also in the rods I mainly hear the rod bolt is the weakest link so could you run a set of eagle h-beams with the L-19 or 3.5 arp bolts and live with that kind of power? Like mentioned I am building the motor to make about 2000 HP and not rev over 7,000.

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Oliver or the Carillo

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
oliver's are probably the best choice,i have a set of lunati's in my sbc,got a tons of runs on them at 2000+hp and no issues

·
Registered
455 Posts
Another vote for oliver. I am only making around 1300 hp but I went with eagles w/ L19s the first time around and snapped a rod. I was told the metal eagle uses isn't consistent and some have more internal imperfections then others. I don't know how true that is. My olivers have held up fine.

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
How about a broken Compstar after 7 passes. My next rods will be Oliver

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Looks like you had a bit of an oiling problem to me, been down that road.

Oliver is the way to go, they are great to deal with and the rods are as nice as you will ever see. They are not cheap but well worth the money.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yea judging by those bearings those compstars definately had some oiling issue, shit happens hopefully next time around everything works out.

Anyone had any experience with howards billet rods? I'm not doing any real class racing but the car should in all honesty put down around 1000-1200whp once all is said and done. Turbocharged small block with 91mm turbo.

Also this question dosent pertain to my car personally but I have a friend who's currently having an engine built, it was made clear the engine was to be a 331ci boss block setup, and we all agreed on the internals to either be scat or eagle forged H beam rods and so on. Well he ended up order probe lightweight I beams, I am not a real big fan of this idea. I can understand running an I beam in a premium rod such as Lunati, Carrillo, Oliver or Crower billet but in a forged non billet rod I always leaned toward the H beam. Am I wrong here? I just wouldnt want it in my own engine so I'm pretty much against it now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
not many votes for the crower billet? i have these rods that i am planning to use in my sbc,@ around 1000rwhp.just dont know what crank? 350ci

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could use the broken rod and piston assembly again!!!!
as an ashtray,
The picture with the cap and bolts in the sump looks to be where the problem may have started they look to have sheared at the beginning of the thread.
Like the rest have said ,you should check out your oil supply as those bearing look like they have seen better days

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
PRO308 said:
Like the rest have said ,you should check out your oil supply as those bearing look like they have seen better days
Several of you have mentioned the bearings...and oil...on those failed Compstars.

Anyone think an oil-issue would have caused the rods to give up or do you think it was a detonation issue...so severe that it literally was beating the rods? I'm curious as to the failure of those otherwise nice looking Callies Comp-Stars. I'd like to see the piston crowns and a few more bearings myself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts