Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m switching from a analog 6al to a digital 6530 6al2. I have a Chrysler magnetic pickup with orange wire + and black -. I left the magnetic pickup harness alone. Both the analog and digital instructions say violet is + and green is - so both boxes went orange + to violet+ and black - to green -. Timing is a steady 32 which is what it was before. Then I read somewhere else on a msd article that the digital should be wired to have the highest advance. That would mean violet + to black - and green - to orange positive! So I did that and timing went past 50 degrees and was jumpy. I’m confused! At the msd box violet goes to violet and green to green.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
MSD states that the correct polarity with an analog box will retard the timing the most, digital will advance it the most. Now you should always see a timing change just going from analog to digital, box differences create this, and have to reset timing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So positive goes to negative on the pickup and vise versa? What about rotor phasing? If I have to turn the distributor to retard the ignition 20 degrees I would think that would cause a big issue with phasing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It sounds like you had it correct the first time, so run it that way. Jumpy=erratic timing, not what you want....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to MSD. He said + to + and - to -. I asked about the literature that says digital should be wired whatever gives the highest advance. His reply was that is only for an MSD distributor or crank trigger. So in my case the lower timing is correct.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
You will know when it's wrong, the car will run like crap. Mine sure did last fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts