Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem with their shop floor sweating?
Anytime we have sudden temp changes or humid days my shop floor sweats like a mofo.
I mean like to the point of wrecking my tools and engine parts. A couple problems for me are: some dumbass before me never insulated the floor or even put plastic down before concrete. Another thing is the size of it; it takes a metric ton of LP to keep it at a stable temperature. Its 65x35 with 22' ceiling height.

Looking for ideas to keep this issue to a minimum. What have you guys found that works? Sick and tired of my shit getting destroyed!:smt093

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
I have a checkerboard tile floor in the back workshop area of my small garage, it sweats when there's a big temp rise from freezing to 60's or warmer in a short period. I just run a fan and dehumidifier, and that seems to knock it down.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have a dehumidifier and a large fan running as well. Hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
-8 c in my concrete block garage it is insulated and drywalled the temp outside is + 5 with rain . No way will I open the door everything would be soaked .

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Ceiling fans will help keep the floor dry. My shop is wet all the time due to my line of work and I let the fans run overnight and the floors are dry the next morning unless the humidity is really high.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I keep mine at 70 all the time have not had issues.

·
Registered
17,569 Posts
this is a first...I never heard a guy complain that his shop is to big.

post #7 may be the best and cheapest fix

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Had the doors open on my shop yesterday for a bit to let Mother Nature warm it up. Went out today and a humidity gauge on the wall said 91%. Floor was just starting to sweat. Turned the dehumidifier on and it was down to 61% in a couple hours. If you don't keep the concrete warm it's going to sweat. Hate not being able to open the shop up.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never complained my shop was too big.
I'm just saying heating it can be a challenge. At least heating it as a preventative against the temp swings can get expensive.
I get that heating it consistently would more than likely cure this but not very cost effective as we have roughly 7 months of cold weather here.
I try to only run the heat when I'm in there working to keep the cost down.
Fans seem like a logical solution. Big Ass Fan company has some nice ones.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Had the doors open on my shop yesterday for a bit to let Mother Nature warm it up. Went out today and a humidity gauge on the wall said 91%. Floor was just starting to sweat. Turned the dehumidifier on and it was down to 61% in a couple hours. If you don't keep the concrete warm it's going to sweat. Hate not being able to open the shop up.
Yup

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I'm just saying heating it can be a challenge. At least heating it as a preventative against the temp swings can get expensive.
I get that heating it consistently would more than likely cure this but not very cost effective as we have roughly 7 months of cold weather here.
Big Ass Fans are nice but man, you're complaining about the cost to heat it wait til you get a quote on their fans.

·
Registered
17,569 Posts
there is the big part of the issue, you only run the heat when in the shop. Yes, I fully understand why, the $$ do do it. Like I said in post #13.....do the ceiling fan thing. By the way, just joking around about " first guy who said shop is to big"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts