Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new concealed carry handgun. I know a lot has changed in the last 20 years since I used to shoot a lot of long range big handguns.
Not some little 9MM or some monster 50cal. Something in the middle that is easy to shoot and easy to conceal.

Thanx

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am looking for a new concealed carry handgun. I know a lot has changed in the last 20 years since I used to shoot a lot of long range big handguns.
Not some little 9MM or some monster 50cal. Something in the middle that is easy to shoot and easy to conceal.

Thanx
Biggest change I’m aware of is the re-adoption of the 9mm round.
People smarter than me are saying that the 9mm round has improved to the point that the differences between it, .40 and .45 are too small to be factored.
So, .40 caliber stuff is dirt cheap right now. Something to consider if budget is tight.

I don’t normally get involved with specific gun recommendations.
Shoot many, buy something reliable, put it in the highest quality holster, and carry it. Always (where legal).
And get training. Be the guitarist, not the guitar owner.

I currently carry a Glock 23. Small enough to conceal well, but big enough to fight with.
That may change soon, but that’s what’s in the holster today.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
As said above, shoot a bunch of different ones and see what works best for you.

I have the M&P Shield in both 9 and 45 and love them both.

The 9 is the performance center model with ported barrel and better sights and trigger, the 45 is the standard.
Both have the external safety simply because I got 9 first and that was the only was the upgraded one came so I bought the 45 to match so I don't have to remember "safety or no safety? " if the shit hits the fan.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Biggest change I’m aware of is the re-adoption of the 9mm round.
People smarter than me are saying that the 9mm round has improved to the point that the differences between it, .40 and .45 are too small to be factored.
So, .40 caliber stuff is dirt cheap right now. Something to consider if budget is tight.

I don’t normally get involved with specific gun recommendations.
Shoot many, buy something reliable, put it in the highest quality holster, and carry it. Always (where legal).
And get training. Be the guitarist, not the guitar owner.

I currently carry a Glock 23. Small enough to conceal well, but big enough to fight with.
That may change soon, but that’s what’s in the holster today.
Very good advice. When my wife wanted a carry gun I tried to be neutral and let her decide on her own. After handling several in the store we went to a range that had rentals and shot a few till she found one she liked. She went with a J frame Smith revolver with a laser grip.

I too carry a Glock 23.

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
I have a Shield 9 and my buddy has one in .45. Both are excellent carry guns imho.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
As was pointed out, 9mm ammo is very good now. There is 9mm ammo for anything you desire. From 50 grain projectiles (with a muzzle velocity of 2300 FPS and very little felt recoil) that will go right thru body armor, up to 185 grain projectiles (with the felt recoil of a 115 grain projectile) that deliver plenty of energy on impact. Here's the newest player;

Ultimately, it's what you feel comfortable with and what you shoot well. I would visit a couple of ranges and rent several guns that I might be interested in, and then make a decision. I've done that a few times and I was surprised with the gun I ended up buying.

·
Senior Frog
10,344 Posts
I carry a Glock 26 with +2 baseplate and a spare 15 round mag from a G19
and I cant thing of anything out there being made today
that can hang with the G26 for versatility and in a small package

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm a thin guy and carry the glock 26. Put a Clipdraw clip on it and just put it anywhere on my waistband in an instant, belt or no belt.

Also carry the glock 36. A .45 about the size of a glock 19, only thinner.

Really like the new glock 48, a 10 round, thin glock 19. But it has a silver slide that I don't care for.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
I've had a number of pistols/ revolvers, and mostly now go with a Kahr 40 DA only. No safety, and none needed. Long fairly hard trigger pull. Alloy/ composite frame, nice and light.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I carry a Glock 36, 45ACP. I use a shoulder holster with a double mag pouch on the off side for balance. It's not easy in hot weather, but if I can put an over shirt on, it's OK. If it's real hot and minimal clothing, I carry a LCP II in my pocket.

·
Registered
19,474 Posts
I'm a revolver guy, and RARELY carry. If I did carry more I would carry a 9mm if I wanted more concealable power, 380auto if I just wanted a gun......my 38+p is almost the power of a 9mm but not as concealable, and definately not as concealable as the 380s

Open hip carry is a 44 mag if I'm in the woods.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Depends on the day and where I'm going. Usually a k6s with a speed strip. Other times it's my xd in 45, xds in 45, g19, or a Smith model 36.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts