Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to ask yall some advise on a desk top computer-my wife needs a new one and thinking a christmas gift would be good.here is the thing-I have no idea what any #s or stuff thats even about on these things.I am a dumbass when it comes to one.
I would like to have something for her business that will last a while and can get parts for when taken to a repair shop when needed.(I have heard about the rumor of repair after sales).
I did find where she was writing #s off of the one she has-I hope it makes since
3 gb ram 80 gb hd 2.1mhz

I just need to know what to look for and what is a good brand i guess.I appreciate the help and time.thank you kenny

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unless you are buying a application specific machine (games, video/audio editing) do not try to build one IMO. Find a manufaturer you like (Dell, IBM, Sony) and buy one. Get as much RAM as you can afford. Dual Core Processor. I dont worry as much about HD size because I have a one terrabyte external HD.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you scooter,so ram is what we need to look for majorly ?I am trying to learn this .I dont want to mess up here.thank you for helping me out.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Ive had very good luck with Dell for the last couple of computers. I know everyone has their opinions, thats mine.

that said, I just bought a laptop & Printer for my son for High School. I got both of them from http://www.newegg.com/ they had both in stock, one shipped same day I ordered it & the other the next day. easy web site & good prices.

Im no computer guy so I talked with our computer dude, told him what I wanted & he told me what to look for.

Bob

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Newegg, and Tigerdirect, have about the best deals going on that stuff, alot with free delivery.. I've bought alot of stuff from both, and never had a problem with either, including this "Acer" Laptop I'm on now...

·
I forgot what to do next!
6,090 Posts
Kenny New Egg has good deals
You want lots of Ram and a dual core processor

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
IMac desk top with the 24 inch screen. Had one for 3 years now 0 issues and still lightning fast. Had Dell before this they were always good at the get go but slowed down or developed issues after 6 months to a year got tired of doing the "ad-aware sweep" and virus scans every week or so.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Tiger Direct or newegg. Get a refurb with an i5 Intel processor & 4gb ram & you'll be good for years.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow there is alot more to these things than i will ever know-when dee gets in,i am gonna let her look at these that yall told me about -I also have them all bookmarked as well.I owe yall a beer for this.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Gateway has been good for me. They do less of the pre installed useless crap than most.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
wow there is alot more to these things than i will ever know-when dee gets in,i am gonna let her look at these that yall told me about -I also have them all bookmarked as well.I owe yall a beer for this.
"BUD LIGHT", please.... BEEELCH.... Here We Go....;)

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Head Phuckstick
18,686 Posts
I hate to say it but when the time comes that I can afford a new computer I'm thinkin about making the switch to a Mac.

Shannon

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news-my wife went ahead and ordered a computer that was refurbished through the tigerdirect,its a great deal-its a gateway with dual processors,6Gb ram and 1TB hardrive and a but load or others.She ordered it night before last and it was here yoday in great shape--we had the screen -we just needed the tower and key board-it was 299.99 with 11.oo shipping and it was fast.I do want to thank yall so much for opening my eyes to this-I really dont know much about electronics-thank yall for you r time and patience with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts