Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is Shanon (John's wife)

We just moved and can not get DSL or cable internet in our new area. We bought a Verizon wireless internet gizmo and can not get it to work on our desktop. We were able to get it to work on our laptop by some stroke of luck. We would like it to work on our desktop but we are both computer dummies and could us some help. When we go to set it up it can not detect a connection. Do we need some kind of wifi devise or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
136,629 Posts
If this is a Verizon device which allows for wireless connection your desktop will need a wireless device to use to reach the signal. Most desktops do not come with wireless devices to accept a wifi signal. You can get a wireless device from Best Buy and simply plugs into a USB port after loading the drivers. They cost anywhere from $20 - $90... Get a decent one if your Verizon device is on the other side of your home.. otherwise get the $20 deal if it's close by.. Hope this helps..

I left the fancy tech talk out of it but Im even lost.. LOL

·
Administrator
136,629 Posts
The wireless gadget you need for your desktop looks something like this. Once installed you will be able to use your Verizon wireless signal.. assuming you are talking about a wireless signal

·
Registered
31,526 Posts
The wireless gadget you need for your desktop looks something like this. Once installed you will be able to use your Verizon wireless signal.. assuming you are talking about a wireless signal

Hey, where in the hell do I buy that nice RED X..... dammit, maybe that 's why my computer won't work..... lmfao.

SORRY, HAD TO !!

·
Registered
31,526 Posts
Hey everyone this is Shanon (John's wife)

We just moved and can not get DSL or cable internet in our new area. We bought a Verizon wireless internet gizmo and can not get it to work on our desktop. We were able to get it to work on our laptop by some stroke of luck. We would like it to work on our desktop but we are both computer dummies and could us some help. When we go to set it up it can not detect a connection. Do we need some kind of wifi devise or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you have CABLE, then you need to plug your cable into your DESK TOP..... the wireless gizmo, lol.... if for you laptop so you do not have to have a "land line" connection and can move about the house.

For your desk top, it will have to be connected to a LAND LINE. If it's cable, you should have been provided a ROUTER. This routher will have your cable line plugged into it. Your wireless gizmo will pick up the signal from THAT....

If you did not PAY for a CABLE service and just purchased the WIRELESS CARD.. or gizmo, then you won't be able to set up your desk top. The wireless card is usually about seventy a month I believe. You can set it up to pull from your wireless card, but your easier bet would have been to pay for the LAND LINE service, and just have your lap top pick up your connection from your desk top, it would have been easier and cheaper and they come to your house and make sure it's all set up for you.

Make any sense ? Maybe I need what Monty's smoking, lol.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok let me try again. We can not get a land line of any sort out here in the boonies. We were given a Global Ready USB Modem by Verizon, we should be able to download the CD and then connect the devise and get the internet. However when I connect the devise the computer can not detect it. There is not a problem with the devise, i can use it with my laptop no problem. I'm trying to figure out why I can use it with my laptop but not my desktop.
The book says something about needing wifi (I don't really know what wifi is). My laptop has it built in, I pretty sure the desktop does not. Could that be what is messing things up?
Monty I have a Linksys, but am not really using it with this computer. Would this help me? Thanks

·
Administrator
136,629 Posts
Ok let me try again. We can not get a land line of any sort out here in the boonies. We were given a Global Ready USB Modem by Verizon, we should be able to download the CD and then connect the devise and get the internet. However when I connect the devise the computer can not detect it. There is not a problem with the devise, i can use it with my laptop no problem. I'm trying to figure out why I can use it with my laptop but not my desktop.
The book says something about needing wifi (I don't really know what wifi is). My laptop has it built in, I pretty sure the desktop does not. Could that be what is messing things up?
Monty I have a Linksys, but am not really using it with this computer. Would this help me? Thanks

Does the Verizon device plug into your laptop via USB? or is this a unit you place near your laptop and connect through WiFi?

·
Registered
31,526 Posts
Yes..... that's exactly why.

You need a wireless expansion card to be inserted into your desk top or a USB plug in

USB plug in similiar to this

Your linksys might work..... if it is wifi compatable, actually it might not, because Monty, doesn't a standard link sys have to be connected to a land connection ?

·
Administrator
136,629 Posts
If you have CABLE, then you need to plug your cable into your DESK TOP..... the wireless gizmo, lol.... if for you laptop so you do not have to have a "land line" connection and can move about the house.

For your desk top, it will have to be connected to a LAND LINE. If it's cable, you should have been provided a ROUTER. This routher will have your cable line plugged into it. Your wireless gizmo will pick up the signal from THAT....

If you did not PAY for a CABLE service and just purchased the WIRELESS CARD.. or gizmo, then you won't be able to set up your desk top. The wireless card is usually about seventy a month I believe. You can set it up to pull from your wireless card, but your easier bet would have been to pay for the LAND LINE service, and just have your lap top pick up your connection from your desk top, it would have been easier and cheaper and they come to your house and make sure it's all set up for you.

Make any sense ? Maybe I need what Monty's smoking, lol.
This is not true. You can buy a WiFi card for a desktop or a USB stick to allow for wifi signals to your desktop..

Dang and she says I smoke the good stuff.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,526 Posts
This is not true. You can buy a WiFi card for a desktop or a USB stick to allow for wifi signals to your desktop..

Dang and she says I smoke the good stuff.. :rolleyes:
I told you..... lol.
I know that.... I misunderstood what she was saying and was to busy laughing at your remarks, lmfao. I corrected myself. DAMN, lol. Seriously, can you send some of what you're smoking with my shirt :p

·
Administrator
136,629 Posts
I told you..... lol.
I know that.... I misunderstood what she was saying and was to busy laughing at your remarks, lmfao. I corrected myself. DAMN, lol. Seriously, can you send some of what you're smoking with my shirt :p
Tell the truth. You simply right arrow clicked on my x and pasted it to the nav bar.. then seen it and acted like you knew what you were talking about.. hehhehe

·
Registered
31,526 Posts
Tell the truth. You simply right arrow clicked on my x and pasted it to the nav bar.. then seen it and acted like you knew what you were talking about.. hehhehe
LMFAO, that's sooooo not true, lol. Was that seriously the same pic you TRIED to use, that came up with a big red x ?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts