Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a routine disc defrag. , cleanup, delete all browsing history and restart. Now all I get when restarting is swirling circle and "please wait". Running windows 8, tried shift f8, tried shift R, can't get passed that screen. Anyone have a solution?? TIA.
...Moose.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long did you wait? Try booting to safe mode and see if it offers to undo your last boot up.
Waited as long as an hour, can't get it to bring up safe mode!!

·
Senior Moment
7,557 Posts
...control/alt/hammer

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
38,405 Posts
Something in here might be of help.
http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

I've only had that happen to me twice in 15 years....once due to a boot-sector virus and last time due to a recent HD failure. (Windows 7) And for what it's worth, don't waste your time defragging your computer anymore once you get it fixed. With today's huge hard drives that are rarely more than 15-20% full, it takes forever, accomplishes nothing and there's always the risk of something going wrong.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something in here might be of help.
http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

I've only had that happen to me twice in 15 years....once due to a boot-sector virus and last time due to a recent HD failure. (Windows 7) And for what it's worth, don't waste your time defragging your computer anymore once you get it fixed. With today's huge hard drives that are rarely more than 15-20% full, it takes forever, accomplishes nothing and there's always the risk of something going wrong.
Yep..went there as well, no help. Up to this point, I never had this problem after defrag. and clean up. I am stumped!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You need to continually press f8 before windows starts booting. That will get you the safe mode options.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to continually press f8 before windows starts booting. That will get you the safe mode options.
Tried several times, wouldn't take me there!!

·
Registered
38,405 Posts
Tried several times, wouldn't take me there!!
Your last option, outside of putting your machine in the hospital, may be to run the System Recovery disk that should have come with it, unless yours is homemade. I hope you have one.

·
Registered
38,405 Posts
Once you get it sorted out, make a complete system image and store it on an external hard drive. After my HD failure, I was quickly up and running after transferring the image from the external HD to the new internal HD.

I wish I knew what to tell you as to how to fix what you have now. What you did shouldn't have jacked it up. Disc defrags rarely go wrong but it's not unheard of.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once you get it sorted out, make a complete system image and store it on an external hard drive. After my HD failure, I was quickly up and running after transferring the image from the external HD to the new internal HD.

I wish I knew what to tell you as to how to fix what you have now. What you did shouldn't have jacked it up. Disc defrags rarely go wrong but it's not unheard of.
Thanks a lot for your input!!
...Moose.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone...Anyone... Help a brother out!!!

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
F5 no worky either!!
USE the NEVER fail; the power switch. I've never had a problem getting that to shut down a computer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts