Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old Dell computer I use in my shop. Last week the power supply went bad, at least I thought it did, as the fan was not working and the top of the computer right above the power supply was real hot.

I found one on ebay for cheap, got it today and put it in but still have same problem. Sounds like it is booting, I can hear the whirring of the hard drive but nothing comes up on the monitor. I get a message on the monitor that it is in power save mode and to push any key, but no result. Also, the power button on the monitor is yellow when in power save mode but when you hit a key or move the mouse it turns to green. Won't do that now, just stays yellow.

I was wondering if the computer is actually working now and maybe something else went bad along with the power supply.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Bob

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,573 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have all the motherboard connections hooked up correctly???

Recheck those, and make sure you do have the same connections as the old Powersupply.

A simple reseating of every connection, and disconnect and reconnect of the DVI or VGA cable (To monitor) with the computer off is a suggestion.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Check the caps on the motherboard, older computer had a problem with them getting swollen. If the top is raised then that could be your issue

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are you 100% sure you have all the motherboard connections hooked up correctly??

Recheck those, and make sure you do have the same connections as the old Powersupply.

A simple reseating of every connection, and disconnect and reconnect of the DVI or VGA cable (To monitor) with the computer off is a suggestion.
Only one plug to the motherboard so that one is ok.

If you are talking about the cable that plugs into the back of the computer I disconnected and reconnected it.

The new power supply has all the same cables as the old one, problem is when I plugged it in nothing worked. There are four cables on the power supply but only two were in use. I tried every combination possible but no luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, went back out and rechecked everything. Unplugged and replugged everything, made sure all the connections were tight. Tried to boot up and it worked. I'm amazed, I so suck with computers. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Ok, went back out and rechecked everything. Unplugged and replugged everything, made sure all the connections were tight. Tried to boot up and it worked. I'm amazed, I so suck with computers. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Probably one of the power leads wan't seated - the connectors are not always easy to get to and if the connectors are not lined up correctly they won't make solid contact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts