Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently piecing together a spare 598 short block. I need a 6.800 length rod. Has anyone used these rods. http://www.callies.com/compstar/connecting-rods/i-beams/

It will be a Merlin block 4.60 bore with JE 1.12CH pistons. Lunati 4 1/2" stroke crank. It will probably end up with a set of dart 355 heads. Looking to make around 900 horse then an occasional .024 to .036 nitrous jet. Probably around 1200 horse total. But again will only be used occasionally and will be a back up engine.

The engine may see around 7500 RPM max but will be set up for nitrous(gear and converter) and possible limited street duty(10-15 miles a week) Probably close to 7000 or less normal duty.

I was going to use either the Eagle, Scat or H-beat Compstar rod but i think these HD I-beams may be better. Will these work with my application or will something else be better for around the same price of $850?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I am currently piecing together a spare 598 short block. I need a 6.800 length rod. Has anyone used these rods. http://www.callies.com/compstar/connecting-rods/i-beams/

It will be a Merlin block 4.60 bore with JE 1.12CH pistons. Lunati 4 1/2" stroke crank. It will probably end up with a set of dart 355 heads. Looking to make around 900 horse then an occasional .024 to .036 nitrous jet. Probably around 1200 horse total. But again will only be used occasionally and will be a back up engine.

The engine may see around 7500 RPM max but will be set up for nitrous(gear and converter) and possible limited street duty(10-15 miles a week) Probably close to 7000 or less normal duty.

I was going to use either the Eagle, Scat or H-beat Compstar rod but i think these HD I-beams may be better. Will these work with my application or will something else be better for around the same price of $850?

The I beams are stonger then the H-beams and we have used some with out any problems so far and Callies has their new Ultra Rods out but are about double in price.

Good luck which ever way you go.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the question would be is what's the best rod for my application for around $850?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Reher and Morrison built my 598. They used Manley H beams in it. I questioned that choice over an I beam and he said they would be just fine. I put all my faith in these guys. Been building motors for a long time. Mine is N/A only.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I ran the H beam Comp Stars in my 565 for 3 yrs. They were 6.535 and I sprayed it the last year I ran it. They were great and my friend is using them in a pump gas 565 now. I have 2 friends who ran 6.700 and 6.800 long Comp Star I beams in BBF motors. Both had rod failures after about 100 passes with those. I used Manley H beams when I freshened the 565 and they were fine and I plan to use Manley H beams in the 582 I'm doing now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have used these in a 565 making 1000 and also sprayed 175 with no isssue, use the L19 up graded bolts.

·
Duct Tape and WD-40
3,755 Posts
i really want to say the motor my dad just bought has them in it, it was a 604 at the time and with a set of reher morrison heads it made a tick over 1100 n/a. he's keeping the same rods and crank in it and he plans on spraying it with a different set of pistons... at least thats the plan anyway.

also we have a set of them in an LS motor (h-beam) and we are gonna try to make 1000hp with them as well. my dads engine guy said they will handle it just fine...

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
In the $850.00 range,,, put the Howards Billet Rods in it and call it done,,,, very "GOOD" rod for the money

I to have heard of and seen some of the I-beam compstar's break, Not the h-beam, just the I beam

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I used Manley H beams when I freshened the 565 and they were fine and I plan to use Manley H beams in the 582 I'm doing now.
Thread on here not long ago about Manley 'H' beams being from China now, just to stay competitive, ($), with the other's out there. Very :-gay

·
Registered
14,799 Posts
I was considering them for a PorCharged E85 540 build that should make in the 1400hp range. They look like the old Lunati ProMod rod which was a good rod, but I was warned that their limit is right there at that 1300-1400hp range. Decided to go with the Howards instead. At 1000-1200hp, I think any of the import H beams like Eagle, Scat, Compstar or Manley will do fine if you go with the bolt upgrade.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
the piston ch looks like a short deck 598? and up to a 36 jet with that short piston.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
opps i see your running a 6.800 rod?.i would rethink that if its gonna be a nitrous motor.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Thread on here not long ago about Manley 'H' beams being from China now, just to stay competitive, ($), with the other's out there. Very :-gay
Yea they are. I was told from a very good source that all H beams were being made in China. Not 100% sure about that but the guy that told me that has very good connections. I beams different story. I wasn't real thrilled when I found out about china H beams and R&M used them in my motor.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Yea they are. I was told from a very good source that all H beams were being made in China. Not 100% sure about that but the guy that told me that has very good connections. I beams different story. I wasn't real thrilled when I found out about china H beams and R&M used them in my motor.
Dyers and Carrillo H beams are made in the US

·
$carface
1,547 Posts
Damn that is a good price, have never run the Howards rods but everything i hear is good,

I know of a few guys around here, one was a 421 sbc with a F2 and 15* heads... no issues. Probably 1400-1500 hp range and 8000 RPM. Seems like a damn good rod for a little over $850.

·
Registered
212 Posts
In the $850.00 range,,, put the Howards Billet Rods in it and call it done,,,, very "GOOD" rod for the money

I to have heard of and seen some of the I-beam compstar's break, Not the h-beam, just the I beam
A set of those did not last a year in a friends motor similar to mine. Not saying that are junk but neither are the comstars. They boke just below the wrist pin, others were cracked at the same spot.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally finished this up and will be sticking it in my new dragster. I just got it so not sure on the weight but its an all carbon fiber 246" 4 link car. I put the dart 355 heads on it and a ported super vic. Not sure on the cam.

It will start out with a 1050 on gas, still not sure yet if I'm going to keep it on gas or switch to methanol.

Do you guys think this will go 4.70/7.50s. The way it sits.

I'm hoping it makes at least 900 horsepower and if it does it should be close to going those numbers at 1950 pounds if everything else is correct. 4.10 gear 33x17x16. Then I'll stick the 34.5's on and spray it. Shooting for some high 6's. Anyway just bored waiting for spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts