Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well built 496 BBC and I am wanting to bolt up a procharger to it. I was curious what the highest compression ratio I could get away with would be on a pump gas street car. I was always under the impression it was 8-9.5:1 was ideal. My current engine is 10.5:1 so I am sure I would need to change to different pistons, cam, and carb as well. Would it be better to build something new all together or could I work with what I have with some changes

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
You could probably get away with low boost with what you have. 8=9:1 would be better on pump fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
E85 get a cam speced and run it. I'm building my engine 10.8 to 1 for my Procharged engine. I believe it will help with throttle response and torque down low when its not all the way in boost. But knowing more about your combination would help

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ENGINE:
489 Big Block Machined, Balanced, and Blueprinted by Performance Motorsports & Machine
GM Performance Parts Aluminum BBC Heads
Moroso High Volume Oil Pump and Pickup Kit
Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pan and windage Tray
Manley Stainless Steel Valves
Grantenelli Fabricated Aluminum Valve Covers
Edelbrock Victor Aluminum Intake
Holley Dominator 1050 cfm Carburetor
Holley Billet Throttle Cable Bracket
Scat 4340 Forged Steel Crank
Clevite 77 Bearings
TCI Rattler Harmonic Balancer
Comp Cams True Double Roller Timing Chain
GM Performance Parts Billet Timing Cover
Scat Forged 4340 H-Beam Connecting Rods
Wiseco 10.5:1 Forged Pistons
Custom Comp Cams Magnum Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
Comp Cams Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Comp Cams Magnum Push Rods
Comp Cams Bee Hive Valve Springs
Harland Sharp Aluminum Roller Rockers
Comp Cams Aluminum Stud Girdle
Weiand High Flow Aluminum Water Pump
March Billet Pulleys
Jegs Aluminum Radiator with Electric Fan and Aluminum Shroud
Spectre Spark Plug Wire loom
ARP Studs and Bolts
Fel-Pro Gasket Set
K&N Air Filter

IGNITION & ELECTRICAL
MSD Pro Billet Distributor
MSD Blaster 2 Coil
MSD 6 AL Ignition Box
MSD Timing Controller
MSD Super Conductor Plug Wires
MSD Electronic Retard Ignition Timing Controller
Powermaster High Torque starter
Power master GM 100 Amp Chrome alternator
Optima Red Top Battery

FUEL& HOSES:
Quick Fuel 190 GPH Electric Fuel Pump
Holley Max Flow Fuel Pressure Regulator
Jegs Billet Inline Fuel Filter 100 Micron
Jegs Billet Inline Fuel Filter 40 Micron
RCI Pro Street 16 Gallon Fuel Cell with foam
Earl’s Steel Braided Hoses with anodized fittings

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm right at 11 to 1 with my 522 F2 reverse big block Chevy.

Bought Arias pistons that were hardcoat anodized to take the abuse.

I'm running on pump gas most of the time, no inter cooler, Set it up to run on E 85 when I crank up the boost

It's a beast even on pump gas and 10 psi of boost !!!

Especially down low !!

Steve Morris speced motor, awesome !!

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
What are your horsepower expectations and what model Procharger did you have in mind? The definition of a pump gas engine today could be 700 hp to 2000 hp so that will surely factor into the answer. If you are shooting for a high HP number you will likely have to make some changes. If you are not looking to rotate the earth under the tires you could probably get a smaller blower and get away with the higher compression on gasoline with a proper camshaft. It all depends on what your expectations are as to what will work with your build.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I'm right at 11 to 1 with my 522 F2 reverse big block Chevy.

Bought Arias pistons that were hardcoat anodized to take the abuse.

I'm running on pump gas most of the time, no inter cooler, Set it up to run on E 85 when I crank up the boost

It's a beast even on pump gas and 10 psi of boost !!!

Especially down low !!

Steve Morris speced motor, awesome !!
I like to hear that! Your car is so awesome and I love the videos. Putting an F2 on my 582 BBC now with one of Steve's cams. Pump gas on street and c16 at the track.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are your horsepower expectations and what model Procharger did you have in mind? The definition of a pump gas engine today could be 700 hp to 2000 hp so that will surely factor into the answer. If you are shooting for a high HP number you will likely have to make some changes. If you are not looking to rotate the earth under the tires you could probably get a smaller blower and get away with the higher compression on gasoline with a proper camshaft. It all depends on what your expectations are as to what will work with your build.
I would be happy with 800hp. I was thinking the D1SC or an F1. I don't want to get too crazy since it its primarily a street car. I want to keep it simple

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
No problems, Going to need a better fuel system like a Magnafuel 500 pump and boost referenced regulator , blowthrough carb, and a proper camshaft( Steve Morris Engines would be a safe bet ) I would also try and add a second keyway to the crank and balancer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts