Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,828 Posts
Thanks! I've been looking at all different kinds of flexible tubing and pex in particular. Pretty much all of it I've seen has a pressure rating of 160 psi at 73 degrees. I haven't looked at Viega PEX yet.
But is it always going to be 73 degrees in your shop? If not, is that spec really all that useful?

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,828 Posts
Why would you NOT use PVC? I've used it in every shop I've ever had without a problem. It's cheap, easy and effective. I pipe the 90 just before the chuck in black iron and secure it well.
Because these days people have more sense than to use pvc :smt102 why create a liability in your shop when you don't have to?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Did my shop with 3/4" Type L copper. Silver soldered the fittings. I find sweating copper to be relaxing. Needed a drop for a reel in the back part of the shop. Ran 1" PEX to the hose reel.
Would have to look at the make/model of PEX. All I know is my part time boss wanted to test it. Charged it with 400psi of dry nitrogen and left it for 24 hours. No issues/leaks.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Did we already cover if PEX reacts with compressor oil over time and fails? Rapid Air has 15% Black Friday sale on.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I dont get you guys.Black pipe is reasonably priced ,easy to put together and bulletproof.Did it in 2 full 6000sq ft body shops in 25 years and it is still all rock solid.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Van

Did it rust or stay nice? Going against white metal walls and ceiling. Would not want staining on the white.

·
LEADING THE FREAK PARADE!
2,447 Posts
Because these days people have more sense than to use pvc :smt102 why create a liability in your shop when you don't have to?
As I stated earlier, we have sch 40 pvc in our shop. I started working there 2 months after they moved into the building back in 1999. It was in the building before we moved in. Other than cutting and adding to it, it has been flawless.

·
Registered
13,146 Posts
Van

Did it rust or stay nice? Going against white metal walls and ceiling. Would not want staining on the white.

Wipe it down and brush on a coat of black rustoleum. I did that for my out door gas lines and they turned out very nice.

·
Registered
15,916 Posts
PVC is like riding without a helmet. It works fine, until it doesn't.
FWIW I call my plumber in with his threading machine, he can thread the steel pipe and have it all together and leakproof in the time it takes me to cut the material to length and climb the ladder. I have steel pipe in a 35X100 building full of machines and hose drops, the oldest part of the system is over 50 years old.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
With galvanized would not have to even paint it. I would think a filter at every drop would prevent issues with flaking?

The Fast Pipe system has 20' lengths of aluminum pipe but has non metallic fittings. The Rapid system has metal compression fittings but only comes in rolls of tubing you have to try to straighten.

·
Registered
13,146 Posts
With galvanized would not have to even paint it. I would think a filter at every drop would prevent issues with flaking?

The Fast Pipe system has 20' lengths of aluminum pipe but has non metallic fittings. The Rapid system has metal compression fittings but only comes in rolls of tubing you have to try to straighten.

Mark, you might be over worried about the flaking. I've done dozens of paint jobs in my shop with galvanized air lines over several years with no issues. No filters either. I do have a refrigerant dryer though for moisture.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I put black pipe in my facility and never have had a leak. We put 2-220 gallon tanks in a run and then 2 industrial water/air separators and never have moisture and 6" drops every 20 ft with petcock never see moisture. Run 6 da sanders all day, 2 paint guns, 3-air hammers etc. I always liked the look of rapid air stuff but plastic fittings scare me.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Applied Systems Technology (Infinity Quick Fit Piping System) has gray colored aluminum straight tubing and metal fittings. Would satisfy all my priorities. But the price brings me back to reality. Over $3 per foot for the tubing, need maybe 200', $600. Fittings average $20 each, probably 30- 40 fittings. Another $600+. Plus shipping. $1200 is a lot to me for this.

Guess black or galvanized pipe will have to do. At least I have to threading tools.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Applied Systems Technology (Infinity Quick Fit Piping System) has gray colored aluminum straight tubing and metal fittings. Would satisfy all my priorities. But the price brings me back to reality. Over $3 per foot for the tubing, need maybe 200', $600. Fittings average $20 each, probably 30- 40 fittings. Another $600+. Plus shipping. $1200 is a lot to me for this.

Guess black or galvanized pipe will have to do. At least I have to threading tools.
If you have your own threading tools 3/4 pipe is the way to go. Copper would be nice but expensive. Mines done all in custom cut and threaded black pipe except underground which is galvanized. (Compressors in a shed next to the building to eliminate the noise)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts