Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Pa.

After hearing some stuff go on in my back yard about a week ago i've been paranoid about the potential of someone coming in the house. My friends have been into guns for awhile and being a guy it natually caught my attention. I'm looking to purchase not one but two shotguns. I want a shotgun for trap shooting and I want another ignorant shotgun for the house.

I'm very inexperience in guns and have only played around with some friends ar15s, siaga 12, mossburg 500, remington 700, remington 1187, fullauto m4, and a mix of handguns. Only played around at the range/clay shooting and I really have no idea what i'm getting into.

I told my friend that I want a gun that can do both home protection and clay shooting. He said along with a few others that no gun can really do both and I agree.

If you were to pick...

1) Home
2) Trap shooting

Sorry for the newb post but I was just at the local gun store and don't want to make an impluse purchase. Looking to spend $1,000-$1,500 for the combo.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Rem 870 express or Mossberg 500. I have a Rem 870 and love it. Its easy to use, work on, modify if wanted if needed.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
A gun that you shoot on a regular basis is better than a assault shotgun that sits in the closet. I don't shoot clays but have a Saiga12 and a Mossberg 500 18 inch barrell. I'am considering a sporting gun in the near future. A Mossy 500 for the home is cheap defense. Good luck

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
500 hands down for home defense.

For trap, go to the range see if you can rent guns...find one you like.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
As stated above, a Remington model 870 with two barrels. That way you will be totally familiar with that gun if and when it has to be used in a confrontation.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
Mossberg Maverick 88 for home defense, then you'll still have a fortune left over for a top shelf field gun and a ton of ammunition. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Long Live The King
103,910 Posts
Im surprised no ones touched with a 500 or 870 with two barrel lengths. 18" for HD and a 20-24" for trap.....

I have an 870 with factory barrel, found a second barrel for $75 and cut it to 18.5"

G

·
Deplorable old phuck
1,681 Posts
Mossberg Maverick 88 for home defense, then you'll still have a fortune left over for a top shelf field gun and a ton of ammunition. Take care. Tom Worthington.
I think the barrels are interchangable between the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 giving you more options for a 18 1/2" for home defense and 24"-28" for field use.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
I think the barrels are interchangable between the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 giving you more options for a 18 1/2" for home defense and 24"-28" for field use.
They are. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
Rem 870 express or Mossberg 500. I have a Rem 870 and love it. Its easy to use, work on, modify if wanted if needed.
All this thread really needed was posted in the above post. Personally, I'm partial to the Mossy, but to each their own.

·
Registered
137 Posts
try to find a good benelli.they are a little on the high side but they have one of the best actions out there,a lot of 3 gun shooters use them and you can accesorise the way you want it.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 with a Warhammer rail system, (cause it looks cool). Light on the bottom and knock off EO Tech on top. Extended mag with 3" 00 buck.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
F a Benelli.

If your looking at those, you may as well get a Mossberg 930 SPX. Damn near the same gun at half the price. My buddy wanted a Benelli M4 I think it was, but after shooting my 930 he had to have it. Having a pistol grip and a 18.5" barrel is the shit for H/D. Thats what I bought mine for...b/c it doesnt shoot clays worth a shit LOL.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you're wanting 2 separate shotguns I would go with the Remington 870 for the home. I got mine for under $300 at a Sportsman Warehouse. For clays and bird hunting I use a Browning Gold Sporting Clays Shotgun. I got my Browning for $800 years ago, don't know their availability now but it's a nice gun for the money.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts