Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a system restore on laptop because it was slow and had done an update last night. It has done the same before and after restore it goes back to working. Well this time I did it and now when it powers on screen just goes black and does nothing. Even after sitting for 15-20 mins. Also tried opening in safe mode and nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnRvHes1a4

Thanks for any help.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,772 Posts
did the update complete or did you shutdown/restart in the process of the update?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The problem is Compaqs butchered version of Win 7. The fix is to throw the restore disk in the trash. Then go out and buy a full version of Win 7 from Microsoft.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is Compaqs butchered version of Win 7. The fix is to throw the restore disk in the trash. Then go out and buy a full version of Win 7 from Microsoft.
I'll take your word on that, but how do I get it to work if it won't come all the way on. As you can see in video it just goes to windows screen and then stops.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Did the same thing with my old Compaq. It will come on, but nothing happens. The Hard drive is fried. Has happened to quite a few people I know. Even the Compaq rep I talked with says it is a problem.

Many people say that computers are just about the same these days....not by a long shot. I will never own another Compaq....ever.
HP, Toshiba or Acer. All have been wonderful for me. I use the shit out of them to. My DV7 is a great machine & can do anything I need it to without hesitation.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
sorry, just watched the video. If it got that far. You ever have BIOS issues or your install was corrupt at one point. have you tried to boot up using the disk?

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing is, it powers up everything like it's working, but just never finishes loading windows.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry, just watched the video. If it got that far. You ever have BIOS issues or your install was corrupt at one point. have you tried to boot up using the disk?
Don't have a windows 7 disk, just an old XP disk from other laptop. If I did have a disk how would I get it to work if it won't start up.

·
8=======D ~~~~
2,916 Posts
I'd recommend a format/reload with a win7 disk

You already have the win7 code so all you need is the disk to redo it without all of the HP/compaq garbage

If you need files that are currently on it you can do a window.old reload and it will be fine

PM me with your address....

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
What if you hit F12, or F10 while it is booting up, before you even get to that screen. What happens then?

As soon as you turn on the power Just hold F12 down. It should bring up the BIOS menu. You can then choose to boot from disk. WIth your recovery disk in the drive see what it does. It will more than likely need a complete install....again

·
8=======D ~~~~
2,916 Posts
on that computer I believe you need to hit (esc) when it starts to go to the alternative startup menu

then you can press f2 f8 f9 etc. to change the bios/boot order

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What if you hit F12, or F10 while it is booting up, before you even get to that screen. What happens then?

As soon as you turn on the power Just hold F12 down. It should bring up the BIOS menu. You can then choose to boot from disk. WIth your recovery disk in the drive see what it does. It will more than likely need a complete install....again
I only have a windows XP disk from an old HP laptop.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
OH, you will not be able to use it then. If that is what you used. Then it is no wonder it does not work & you fudged the laptop...SO...

You will need a clean Win 7 disk.

If you do not care, you can DL it from TPB & have it already cracked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts