Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a company making billet main caps. I bought a set of splayed flat bottom caps a few weeks ago. I had a block come in I had put Pro-Gram caps on 9 years ago this has been a circle track engine and the customer broke off the oil pump, Which caused a lot of damage to the main bearings and main caps!!

The caps were curled the customer said and he put them in a press to flatten them back out which did not work out very well. They were flat but the housing bores were out alot.

These caps went right on where where the Pro-Gram caps were on!! I only had to line bore .008 out and the finish was good after maching and aligned hone to size took the caps off and retorqued then and they repeated to size.

They make SBC 10 degreed splayed caps
SBC 4 bolt replacement caps
BBC 4 bolt straight bolt caps
Are looking at building Ford caps as well

Here is the company and they are made in the USA
http://www.cipcoindustries.com/

Here is a pic of the caps

Finish product

I have dealt with Pro-Gram for years and I did my 5000 dollar buy in but over the last few years I have had to wait up to 3 months for caps. My buy in seem worthless now. I also get a lot of calls about guys not being able to get Pro-Gram caps and now at least I have a back up

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Carl, will they make custom widths? How about cross sections? I like the cross section of the Milodon Caps but the guy who does them, does charge a little extra for Milodon verse Program/Oliver caps

What do those run for all three centers?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When will the new site be ready carl?
When ever I slow down!! I seem to be plenty busy with out it right now as I did have a website years ago.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carl, will they make custom widths? How about cross sections? I like the cross section of the Milodon Caps but the guy who does them, does charge a little extra for Milodon verse Program/Oliver caps

What do those run for all three centers?
I am sure they would! Milodons are nodual iron not billet and Milodons are stepped caps and are a bitch to fit plus having more of an angle some times will get you into the water jackets and cost alot more, These are only 160.00

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
I don't know about them but I used a set of Howard's, and they looked just like these shown. The clearances repeat with ARP main studs and they were thicker too much like the Milodon. I still like the Milodon but for a billet cap I wouldn't hesitate to use Howard's and they are priced fair too

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Milodon caps, the machine shops dont like dealing with the stepped cap, they do charge a few bucks more for a stepped cap. I have used Milodon's without any issues and bearings look like new. The only downside to Milodon caps is you have to use their bolts or their studs

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is nothing wrong with Milodon caps, the machine shops dont like dealing with the stepped cap, they do charge a few bucks more for a stepped cap. I have used Milodon's without any issues and bearings look like new. The only downside to Milodon caps is you have to use their bolts or their studs
Stepped caps do suck for sure!! The only other issue is the outer bolt holes are at a steeper angle and most likely get you into the water jackets then caps with a 10 degree outer bolts. I have had quite a few calls about that issue with Milodon Caps.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Why would a person go with nodular iron when you could have billet for less ? Not to mention the outer bolt angle. The Cipco caps look like they would be bulletproof. JMO

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would a person go with nodular iron when you could have billet for less ? Not to mention the outer bolt angle. The Cipco caps look like they would be bulletproof. JMO

Cipco caps are nice and priced right and I am actually installing a set this morning

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have pro-gram caps on my bowtie block 406 Im putting together. Hasnt ran yet but man do these caps seem to be a nice piece!

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
For me it's not an issue, I hardblok every factory block to the bottom of the water pump holes, if not buy a Dart or World or I'm not doing it. I prefer the nodular iron. Thus I use the Milodon caps. Many prefer nodular, many prefer billet. They both are great caps. My aftermarket block has nodular main caps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts