Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im putting my motor back together, 385 ltx, lookin at 20-25 psi, and around 900 thru a th400. seems some people recomend cometic and others felpros.

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
go ahead with caution totally opinion on gaskets. try one from each manu. on different banks. replace the one that squeels first. many good threads on yb about this. do a search. good luck with the ride.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ive used felpros and they hold up good.ive seen 16lbs with them but when i did some work on my heads this past season i went to cometic.only reason was bud owed me and he had a set of gaskets.but they both are good

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
just to be different..
we run the felpro 1003 head gasket.
Dart little M block , dart pro 1 heads, and water cooled engine.
fitted in 2007 , reused in 2008, heads off for the first time in nearly 100 passes just the other day, could have reused them again ( but i felt guilty...so i put a new set on , same 1003 felpro's)
methanol fuel
35-36 psi boost, twin 72's , 30 + degs timing
358 cube sbc
hint: watch ur spark plugs , and tune accordingly...
tuneup overseen by Travis Quillen ( turbo guru ... :) ) @ www.quillenmotorsports.com
links to plug tuning, by Mike Canter
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Cometics.....FTW!!!! 200 button on a stock bottom SBF. No problems with sealing.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I use 1003 as well run 22 pounds. I have used them for two seasons they look good no issues!

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
ok im putting my motor back together, 385 ltx, lookin at 20-25 psi, and around 900 thru a th400. seems some people recomend cometic and others felpros.
A year ago FelPro did not offer an LT1 style MLS.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
A year ago FelPro did not offer an LT1 style MLS.
felpro gaskets are made on dedicated stamping dies,hence the wiat to market. They have had SBC MLS gaskets for several years. They also offer the steup gasket refered to as severe duty. I have used both felpro and cometic and I flatly prefer felpro.

·
Registered
614 Posts
felpro gaskets are made on dedicated stamping dies,hence the wiat to market. They have had SBC MLS gaskets for several years. They also offer the steup gasket refered to as severe duty. I have used both felpro and cometic and I flatly prefer felpro.
The felpro mls gaskets that are blue are junk. Ran the old black ones on a turbo motor for 2 yrs and they lived through and eventual hurt piston, took the motor down, took everything to a machine shop to be finished and came back and the blue ones never sealed. As a matter of fact there is an entire thread about them here on the bullet.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
The felpro mls gaskets that are blue are junk. Ran the old black ones on a turbo motor for 2 yrs and they lived through and eventual hurt piston, took the motor down, took everything to a machine shop to be finished and came back and the blue ones never sealed. As a matter of fact there is an entire thread about them here on the bullet.

The blue gaskets are the cheap ones. The racing gaskets are the severe duty.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
FYI, I just ordered Felpro 1134s (SBF) from summit a month ago, and they were black.
1134s is a racing gasket. It is also a bit thicker and has some other design changes. These work great.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts