Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, we recently converted our nitrous BBF to F3 on alcohol. We opted for the MLS Cometic gaskets to get the compression down to 12 to 1. The gaskets are about .140 thick. What are the down sides to having a gasket this thick in our combo?

The reason I ask is because, we went lean this weekend and blew one side and did a lil damage to the head (outside the chamber area). If it had not been for the thick gaskets, it would have probably gotten into the block and did major damage. did not touch the pistons at all either. So in this case, we're thinking the MLS gaskets can serve as the last line of defense if this ever happens again.

Is there anything wrong with having a gasket that thick?

572 BBF
A460 heads and block
small F-3...lol

Greg J.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
I have a friend that wrecked his car BBC F3-136 on alcohol not a dry block. He knocked an MLS gasket out and got water under the tires . He was told by multiple people that MLS gaskets with blown alcohol is a no no . He was told copper and Oring with reciever grooves are the way to go with alcohol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note taken... Our block is dry.
Is there any reason they gave for not running the MLS other than the water?

Thanks a lot
Greg J.

·
5,150 Posts
Not really sure of the reason , but I figured I would pass on what I heard as it was an expensive lesson . Engine was redone be Steve and it now has copper with orings. Here was the pass the MLS failed.
http://youtu.be/eq6g92cDgnU

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will call Steve tomorrow hopefully. This may be something we look into over the winter.

Thanks again
Greg J.

·
5,150 Posts
Glad to pass on any info that can help other people. Wish i knew more details as to the why they are not good, but I guess Steve being an engine builder will tell you all you need to know . Good luck going forward with your project!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts