Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Come on guys cough it up, have you every taken a LOL "real-man" TEST DRIVE?.

Man takes $150,000 Maserati on a test drive and ditches the salesman to steal the super car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erati-test-drive-steals-it.html#ixzz4ZoRmEtHP

Friend of mine had a Bandit Edition T/A, He test drove a new 82 MUSTANG GT. When he returned less than a half hour later, the FORD dealer claimed his car was no longer at the dealership - "it was out being appraised" so he had to take the MUSTANG home for the night. I owned a 79-1/2 MUSTANG PACE CAR, as soon as he showed up at my place with the "story" we swapped the 82's Halogen Lights for my car's non-Halogen's and newer 81's Battery into mine.
We wanted to test-drive off roading with the MUSTANG and came across a cut chain and two berm's about 20'-30' feet apart that I guess were to have kept vehicles out of the off-road dirt trail, but 4x4s had knocked the mounds down some. We got out, walked and analyzed the berms and figured IF we hit the berms fast enough, we could clear the second berm and avoid the sand-pit between them. We seat-belted in, drove done the paved road and hit the first berm at 70-80 mph. We landed on the second berm mid-ships and wickedly bounced to a stop. The MUSTANG's rear wheel-wells were more flared and there were ripples in both rear-quarters over the wheel wells. He just handed the car back the next day while it was raining.

Michael McGilvary was arrested for stealing a $150,000 Maserati on Wednesday
The 45-year-old took a 2016 Maserati GranTurismo for a test drive on Tuesday
McGilvary claimed he wanted to show off the vehicle to his girlfriend
He left a dealership employee stranded at a boat dock in Boca Raton, Florida

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erati-test-drive-steals-it.html#ixzz4ZoW7CEVo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

·
Registered
38,338 Posts
Re: Come on guys cough it up, have you every taken a LOL "real-man" TEST DRIVE?.

Never had one stolen in that manner, but we've had 1 or 2 stolen by customers, who seemed trustworthy enough to let them take the car by themselves, who stopped and had a key made - then came back a couple of days later and stole them. The last one was a drug dealer who drove a pristine Trans Am right through the fence and hauled ass.

The police found it about 5 miles from the Texas Motorplex, totally destroyed inside and out in less than 48 hours.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: Come on guys cough it up, have you every taken a LOL "real-man" TEST DRIVE?.

I got asked to assist a local PD about an auto theft from a dealership a while back.

Seems that the folks just came on the lot at 3 in the afternoon and took a 2017 Yukon Denali and drove it off.

How da phuck you do that with all the anti theft stuff on them nowadays?

Told the detective I would start in house first, who has had access to the keys and second look at anybody who test drove that particular vehicle.

How would johnny car thief know specifically which one to take without prior knowledge.. :confused:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Just read another story. He would test drive the corvette and when he returned gave the dealer a similar key. He would keep the original key and return to get the car later.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts

Rev- When I sold cars, our dealer principal was fairly adamant about going on test drives to protect against theft. Plus, the insurance that goes with the dealer plate is N/A if the salesman isn't in the car. Anyways, my office partner let a customer go by himself on their third time back. This was about 4 o'clock on a Busy Saturday. The guy was gone about 15 minutes, came back and told Ken he'd be in Monday and do the deal. Monday no show. On Wednesday, my buddy tries to phone the customer but no answer. Fast forward a few days, and I get a guy looking for a 5spd diesel 4x4. I mention that we have one, but am unsure about a couple of options. I go looking for the truck, but it's not on the lot.
Now, at this point, I just assumed that the RV side of the store was using it to move RV's over to the RV show/sale. About three of us did the exact same thing for a week. Finally I went back to the RV service dept to find out when they would be done with our truck. They looked at me like I was an alien. So, finally my sales manager looks in the key machine, and both sets are there. An hour later, a light bulb goes on, and the owner phones down to the closest lock shop, where we had an account. Sure enough, according to his paperwork, he had made a key for that stock number late in the day when the customer had the truck. He had presented himself as Ken, using Ken's business card. When we recovered that truck some 9 months later, it was in Quebec. It had been sold less than a week after the extra key was made, by submitting paperwork with one digit in the VIN changed.
We also had a guy work there for three months under a fake ID. His story fell apart at the very same time that he had put in place a plan to drive away with a Grand Cherokee Limited. He had a spare set of keys made up and in his desk, and had actually pulled the NVIS form and forged a bill of sale. We figured him out 12 hours from him pulling it off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts