Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned this by reading a lot of Jeff Cooper's teachings, especially when he was running Gunsite in of all places Arizona. I am not sure if I should make this a sticky or not so I need some input from the foum members. Yay or Nay on a sticky of this:

White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to SHOOT today." You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

Orange - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today," focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does 'x', I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red - Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. If "X" happens I will shoot that person.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I will wait for a few more responses before I make a decision.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I say Yes,,

You need to ad

Condition BLACK-After you have shot the bad guy and the cops show up-

" I want to speak to a lawyer"

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say Yes,,

You need to ad

Condition BLACK-After you have shot the bad guy and the cops show up-

" I want to speak to a lawyer"
Hopefully if you follow Yellow and Red you won't need black.

·
Duct Tape and WD-40
3,755 Posts
damn.... i was in the white one time in my life... never agian. ended up damn near taking a bullet to the face point blank. ever since then i have been code red all the fuckin way.... kinda like mt. dew. sticky for sure

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn.... i was in the white one time in my life... never agian. ended up damn near taking a bullet to the face point blank. ever since then i have been code red all the fuckin way.... kinda like mt. dew. sticky for sure
Care to share I would like to learn something. PM if you are not comfortable posting it here.

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
Is that the situation you posted about in Trashed a while back?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Care to share I would like to learn something. PM if you are not comfortable posting it here.
x2- I have never been in a 'situation' like this, but everything I can read about it will help me (and others ) out.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sticky it is.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Speaking of Col. Cooper, this goes along with the above.

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Teach, enforce, and follow these religiously and you and your loved ones will stay safe.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You know, it seems like they 'opfor' or 'suspects' can actually tell if you are on alert or have situational awareness. They will avoid people like that.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I thougt I was always aware givin my job...........but after a tour in Iraq and 9 months in the hospital I am straight up paranoid now.:smt067

1 - 20 of 49 Posts