Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors son in law needed some work and I hired him to cut a tree for me. He gave me a price on the work and I agreed to it. He came over to do the job and half way through the job he decided it was more work than he wanted to do for the bid and left before finishing. Well he sent me a bill and I asked him when he was going to finish and he said he needed more money. I refused to pay more or pay for the unfinished work. So fast forward and I get a call from a Collection agency. The agency says that as long as the person furnishes a bill for the work whether or not they have a signed contract I have to pay or they will report me it on my credit. The collection agency also says that I cannot stop them from calling me.

I am in the contracting business so I fully understand how to communicate and properly convey what was needed to be done so I am at a loss over this one.

Anyone in the Collection Business?
Any tips on how to handle this?
Should I just beat his ass?

·
Senior Frog
10,316 Posts
your neighbor is screwed..........you do not have to pay jack shit
I would contact your lawyer and have him make you up a letter
and counter a "NastyGram" to his collection agency,,,,,
get the work done from another source and
send them this invoice!

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Explain you intend to sue said son in law & will include them if they persist.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,112 Posts
CHOKE YOUR NEIGHBORS KID!:p

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Call the home improvement commision.

I don't know about your state but in Maryland you need a home improvement license to do ANY work on someone's property. They handle crap like that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wonder how a collection agency can just put a bad mark on your credit or is this an empty threat?

Unfortunately here in Ga we have little licensing for contractors.

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
You would be surprized what a col. agency can get away with,they magically came up with my ss# and are coming after me for hospital bills from a hospital I never been in!The hospital dont even have my info as being a patient and its hurting my credit rating....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe in Ga they would have to run this through court if they wanted to get it far enough to damage your credit. The agency that deals with collections for us works that way anyhow. Get a BBB listing for Macon or Atlanta or other larger city and pick a good rated collection agency. Call them and pose as somone with debts to be collected. Then ask some questions about how it works from that end.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Dont cave in to that crap.

Ask to see his buisness license, contractors license, proof of liability insurance and a signed contract for starters. Assuming he has none of the above let him know that you will contact each agency and let them know what he's doing on the side. Throw in the IRS as well if you like. Probably nothing will come of it but he may get some letters which will shake him up. Ask the 'collection agency' for a case number because you're going to file a claim with the BBB against them as well. Get the collection agency location so you can check to see if they are even legit. Im no lawyer but messing with someones credit takes more than someones word, with no written contract you can tell them to go pound sand.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a real problem! I hired a collection agency to get payment from a dead beat customer,now I can't get paid from said collection agency!do I hire another one to collect from the collector?they will get the 30% of the 60% I should be getting!What should I do?

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
You would be surprized what a col. agency can get away with,they magically came up with my ss# and are coming after me for hospital bills from a hospital I never been in!The hospital dont even have my info as being a patient and its hurting my credit rating....

I sold them that information...and can you believe the nerve of them....!!! The cocksuckers never paid me......:smt082:smt082:smt082

·
Registered
271 Posts
Forget the business license, you hired him with no contract , he gave you a verbal price and if a collection agency is acting on that they are blowing smoke. Fair debt collection practice laws in every state do not allow a licensed collection agency to collect as a third party on a debt with no contract and they can report you if they subscribe to the bureau but without valid data to back it they are all in trouble, run your credit and if it is on there sue the shit out of the contractor who turned it over to the agency and the agency. Also file a complaint with the Attorney General in your state, you can do it online...record conversation with collection company a nd keep any written documents....Go get em

·
16,373 Posts
I just filed a complaint with the Pa. Attorney General for a collection agency saying I owed something I never purchased. Somehow after 5 years my SS number got on it. He told them to cease. Didn't cost me a dime.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just filed a complaint with the Pa. Attorney General for a collection agency saying I owed something I never purchased. Somehow after 5 years my SS number got on it. He told them to cease. Didn't cost me a dime.
Correct online complaint will rock their world for free

1 - 20 of 22 Posts