Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A front end swap has ended up quite the predicament. First time changing them and didn't drop the shock/spring before undoing everything now I cant get the shock out. Clearly the spring is still in decent shaped and has opened up pinning the LCA downward. The shock/spring is now off center and the shock won't drop down the hole in the LCA. Any help would be appreciated.

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
2,850 Posts
Are you replacing the springs? if so then just torch the old ones. if so, go rent/buy a spring collasper from the local auto store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What kind of car?

Just assuming at this point, but: I think you’ll want to put some blocks of wood under the LCA, rest the chassis on it, and reattach your balljoint if that is what you loosened. Your shock is probably bent unfortunately. Then obtain the correct coil spring compresser, and remove the spring correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of car?

Just assuming at this point, but: I think you’ll want to put some blocks of wood under the LCA, rest the chassis on it, and reattach your balljoint if that is what you loosened. Your shock is probably bent unfortunately. Then obtain the correct coil spring compresser, and remove the spring correctly.
Its a caprice. I did take a hammer to the shaft of the lower ball joint to knock it back a little more, and I did notice some movement in the spring. It moved outward a little more so im thinking a few more love taps and Ill be able to yank the spring out safely. The spring seems a little loose so hopefully most of the energy is not being conserved enough to the point where it will shoot out. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Might need two floor jacks for this. Try to jam a floor jack in under the LCA under the shock and pump up the lca a few inches enough and bang the spring back into the pocket. Then maybe a couple more slow little pumps pumps. Then put the other jack under the ball joint area so you can remove the first jack and take the shock out. Slow and carefully !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might need two floor jacks for this. Try to jam a floor jack in under the LCA under the shock and pump up the lca a few inches enough and bang the spring back into the pocket. Then maybe a couple more slow little pumps pumps. Then put the other jack under the ball joint area so you can remove the first jack and take the shock out. Slow and carefully !
I was able to push down a little on the LCA with my foot and pull the spring/shock out easily, but thanks anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts