Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered all new ignition components to replace the old stuff on my dirt super late model. I ordered a msd 6ct pro ignition box and the msd HVC coil part number 8250 as per the instructions for the box said this was the recommended coil. After looking at the specs im trying to figure out why this coil would be the best fit as its specs are significantly worse (or at least appear so) than say a hvc 2 coil. I posted pics of the specs below for each coil and the box specs. Just trying to learn. The 34000v coil is the 8250, the one i ordered

The instructions for the box say with this coil it outputs 550v and with any other it outputs 535v. Just curious if anyone knows why.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The 8250 has more peak current, 600mA. That means more heat in the spark, & it is the heat [ not the voltage ] that ignites the A/F. The voltage is just an enabler for the spark to be generated, just like the fuel is the enabler for the oxygen in the air to combust.

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, i must have overlooked that. Admittedly, ive never paid much attention to specs on coils before. I always just assumed that higher voltage would be better. I also see it has a lower resistance on the primary and secondary windings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts