Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BBC that is going to be running 10-12 psi of boost with the holley HP efi and fast dual sync distributor. What coil are you distributor guys using?

Thanks! J

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to use the holley If I can but open to sugestions if I need a box. It's just a mild street deal 10-12 psi of boost on 8.2:1 compression.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Holley hp with ls1 coils no other box needed

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Do you need something like the MSD coils to support 1500+ HP on a SBC ?

I think MSD gets like $ 600 for their set .
Use the ls1 truck coils they will support 1500 hp no problem . You can get the truck coils cheap on e-bay or a junkyard . Holley makes a harness for them coils

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Seems like they could make a very clean install with up swept headers . Maybe mount them on the block .
We did it like that on a v6 procharged motor looked clean

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We already have the FAST distributor that the Holley EFI tech told me to get, just forgot to ask about the coil and have had a hard time getting back abold of anyone. Max of 900- 1000 hp on 91 oct here at 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Holley EFI when using a distributor is going to need a box if I think correctly. With "only" 10-12 psi of boost practically any coil will work, an old points style canister coil lol. When I first put my car together, my MSD 6520 box zonked out, I was using a small cap HEI distributor at the time so until my 6520 box came back, I used the stock small cap HEI coil set up and all, ran great at around 12 psi. All jokes aside, I'd say the MSD 8252 if running a 6 series box while my buddy uses the MSD 8251 with his old 7AL2 box.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
When using the Holley HP EFI with LS1 truck coils on a BBC how are guys triggering the coils? Is there a special dist to use?

This is what Im wanting to do but don't know what I need.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
When using the Holley HP EFI with LS1 truck coils on a BBC how are guys triggering the coils? Is there a special dist to use?

This is what Im wanting to do but don't know what I need.
All you need is the 60-2 crank wheel no cam sync needed unless you want individual timing control or sequential fuel control

·
Registered
318 Posts
Subscribing .

I plan on using my 7531 and 8251 coil for timing .

Thinking of just using the Holley for fuel .
Are you dead set on this? If so, why? gonna have to have 2 MAP sensors, a ton of wiring for the Holley but then more than needed for the extras of the 7531, 2 software programs to keep track of, 2 datalogs to read... I have a 7520 for my ignition (now), the only thing I do like about it over the Holley is the rev limiter, the MSD is so much more smooth, the Holley likes to pop and bang, all most sounds like cycling the ignition on and off. Let the Holley handle everything, that way your timing will be recorded in the Holley datalog AND if you grab the Touch Screen (which is bad a$$) you can make subtle timing changes right there. Just Sayin!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We already have the FAST distributor that the Holley EFI tech told me to get, just forgot to ask about the coil and have had a hard time getting back abold of anyone. Max of 900- 1000 hp on 91 oct here at 5500 rpm.
At that point with a distributor, I'd use a CDI box and whatever coil the box's manufacturer recommends as the best pairing with the box.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really do appreciate the responses guys. So I need to buy a MSD 6A or similar and the std blaster coil and it will all work with this system?

As it stands the holley tech line is a piss poor deal... Been on hold for over 3.5 hrs total this week, and on hold with them as I type this. They told me back when I talked my customer into going this rout that it wouldn't need any other boxes. I took the guys word for it and now the car is 15 hrs away from me all wired, almost ready to fire and these fucks won't answer the phone.

·
Boss
2,098 Posts
I really do appreciate the responses guys. So I need to buy a MSD 6A or similar and the std blaster coil and it will all work with this system?

As it stands the holley tech line is a piss poor deal... Been on hold for over 3.5 hrs total this week, and on hold with them as I type this. They told me back when I talked my customer into going this rout that it wouldn't need any other boxes. I took the guys word for it and now the car is 15 hrs away from me all wired, almost ready to fire and these fucks won't answer the phone.
Yes you need a cd box if running a fast dual sync with single coil. This time of the season there is a large wait time. If you know the techs name that suggested a box wasn't needed, contact robin or Doug. You're probably right about them not answering the phone. They work 8-630 5 days a week and 9-3 on Saturday but they ignore all your calls. If you are on hold for 3.5 hours, that's your fault. There's an option to leave a message with call back number. They do make return calls. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yes you need a cd box if running a fast dual sync with single coil. This time of the season there is a large wait time. If you know the techs name that suggested a box wasn't needed, contact robin or Doug. You're probably right about them not answering the phone. They work 8-630 5 days a week and 9-3 on Saturday but they ignore all your calls. If you are on hold for 3.5 hours, that's your fault. There's an option to leave a message with call back number. They do make return calls. Best of luck to you.
Ok thank you. I will order a 6A box and coil and get it sent up there.

It's a moot point but...Actually you get the call back option when you select the number 2 extension which is Inquiries on new holley products. They will call you back if you are going to buy something but not if you need tech support after..lol. This would less of deal had I not got stuck with one of their first pos boxes for my nova, and then got drug out months and months on waiting on their coils. Ended up having to just buy a new box and take it right up the ass with the coils.... Oh well hopefully it will all be worth it when this thing runs!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts