Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use cog belts on vortech Ysi blower for street car? Not a daily driver, maybe 50 miles a week street and strip car. Having issues with serpentine 10 rib belt slippage. Vortech says cog belts are hard on blower for street?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone use cog belts on vortech Ysi blower for street car? Not a daily driver, maybe 50 miles a week street and strip car. Having issues with serpentine 10 rib belt slippage. Vortech says cog belts are hard on blower for street?

I was recommended on here too have my pulleys sent to GripTec Z-Industries. The reviews are great and I'll let you know how it works for me. About a 10 business day turn around.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Vortech says cog belts are hard on blower for street?
I've heard that from them too and I call BS. If you drive it like a sane person and not going WOT all the time the belt and head unit will survive. As long as your blow off valve is large enough and is set up to close only at low vacuum situations, there is no strain on the belt/blower because of the lack of back pressure.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vortech says cog belts are hard on blower for street?
I've heard that from them too and I call BS. If you drive it like a sane person and not going WOT all the time the belt and head unit will survive. As long as your blow off valve is large enough and is set up to close only at low vacuum situations, there is no strain on the belt/blower because of the lack of back pressure.
That's what I think also. I wanted to hear from people that are doing it to verify?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Gates GT 3 has been great!! F2 small block Chev. Lots of street miles not a crazy amount of track time but I went all summer on one belt with a mild tune. Could have been more but last year I broke the Procharger support bracket and the belt broke in the chaos.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gates GT 3 has been great!! F2 small block Chev. Lots of street miles not a crazy amount of track time but I went all summer on one belt with a mild tune. Could have been more but last year I broke the Procharger support bracket and the belt broke in the chaos.
Is that a serpentine belt? How many ribs?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cog belts are fine on the street. For cruising around and rolling into the throttle etc. Snapping the throttle on and off quickly is hard on any blower.

Long as the internal bearings are made for cogs you’ll be fine. Check out MissMav on Instagram. She’s building a YSI-B cog set up right now for SCSN this weekend.

Procharger uses 50mm wide cog belts in most applications. Vortech uses 35 and 50 I believe. So you’d have to ask them which is used on their ysi kit. Which is probably called the renegade kit.

1000’s of guys running cog drives on the street. Driving style has a lot to do with belt life. Serpentine or cogs.

FWIW old school Nmra guys were going deep into the 8’s with serpentine drives like 15 years ago. But they were piano string tight.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont see how with a big enough blow off valve. A cog belt which requires much less tension than a 10 rib serpentine is harder on the blower bearings according to Vortech?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts