Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need and where do I get fittings to refill my small bottles? I have a large mother bottle. Went to Praxair and they don't have anything. The guy acted like what I was trying to do was crazy.

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
Around here its bullshit they want the bottle certified and bunch of b.s.. Im going to start using nitrous.
Try a welding supply shop.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I had my bottles refilled at the Liquor store. They use/refill co2 bottles for beer tappers.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im wanting to refill them myself. Tired of going out of the way to refill them. What do I need to refill them hose/fitting wise? Do I just need a connection from the large to small bottle and open the valves then close? Any regulators or gauges needed? I was also told to cool the small one Im filling and it will take a few ounces more.

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
You need to research this, be damn careful, and find out what you can and cannot do. You have any experience with liquified gases, Nitrous, LP gas or refrigerants?

CO2 is liquified partially in the bottle. You must NOT overfill or it can hydro lock at high temps

Getting the picture?

You need to turn the supply bottle upside down to get some liquid or else get a type of supply tank that uses a dip tube. Your MIG tank, EG, will NOT have one.

You need to chill (freeze) the target bottle

And you need to figure out the fill weight and use an accurate scale, and DO NOT overfill.

You didn't think there'd be a YouTube video?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. So the mother bottle needs a siphon tube even though the small bottle doesn't have one?

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,502 Posts
Thanks. So the mother bottle needs a siphon tube even though the small bottle doesn't have one?
correct , the siphon feeds the liquid co2 into the small bottle .... i have a 50lb mother bottle with siphone tube , and 2 ball valves to fill small bottles .

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used to use the paintball piece but I kept getting leaks in their valve. One rainy race I went to home depot during a delay and switched to ball valves .... works great. Invert the mother tank if you are using a 25 lb normal CO2 drink station tank. You want liquid in your small bottle, gas alone will not last at all. I run a lot of NO2, but I've never switched over to nitrous .... CO2 lasts a long time if you invert and get liquid in your car's small bottle.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Around here its bullshit they want the bottle certified and bunch of b.s.. Im going to start using nitrous.
Try a welding supply shop.
once every 5 years for 20 bucks is bullshit? Hell most shops swap tanks so the chances of you needing to pay for a hydro test is slim unless it takes you 5 years to go threw a mother bottle.

all you need is a scale for the small bottles fittings and a diptube mother bottle if you don't want to mount the mother upside down. You can chill the small bottles just by filling then purging them, its co2.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I get a small tank (25lbs) from my welding supply place, exchange the tank once a year before race season (whether it needs it or not) cost is about $15 a year. Inverting when filling is easy as can be, takes maybe 3 minutes to refill it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So simple hook up and fill. The guy that filled them for me never used a scale. Says the small bottle will only take so much anyway. Thanks for the replies and thanks Seattle Mike I'll pick one of those up. The local paintball place here closed years ago and a sporting goods store couldn't fill mine due to leakage?? Not sure on the fitting he was trying.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Find you a local convenience store owner and see if he will work something out with you.My Coca Cola guy swaps my big bottles out everytime I need a full one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts