Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Nice find for the "home shop" Bill.....:)

·
Moderater
13,291 Posts
That's a great deal for 5k assuming that is complete with the PLC.

·
Registered
19,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only used 3 or 4 times....looks brand new

·
Administrator
136,692 Posts
Depends on what you are doing with the machine and what your expectations are.....

They are a decent setup for the weekend warrior looking to do light work..

·
Registered
19,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on what you are doing with the machine and what your expectations are.....

They are a decent setup for the weekend warrior looking to do light work..
exactly what I had in mind....when I want to try a new idea, I can do it in my shop instead of hauling the shit all over town, and try and explain how I want it done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For the home shop it looks good. I assume the simple English refers to a DXF or conversational program? IMHO you need to be careful of the R8 holders if your just going to use the slip collet, and not the adapter style. I find the tool tends to pull out around 4500 rpm 28inch min at .100 axial and .500 radial depths(full tool width) using are Helical cutters. But yes we do try to find the machines limits [email protected] can be fun some times. But these are just my opinions I would still snatch it up for that price.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
THANKS Bill, I'm looking for a "manual" mill for my shop as I have a small vertical milling center, and these are "about" the price of a new "manual" with a read-out! About a grand more, so why not.

Bill, funny, I clicked on the link, and look at it, but DID YOU NOTICE THE 2 ALUMINUM parts about 1/2 way down? OBERG FILTERS??

My buddy shop has something like the larger one, see if you can get an air-draw bar for these? That's really a good thing seeing there's now toolchanger.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you think a race car is a money pit, wait until you get a CNC machine. Unless you plan on selling a fair amount of production, it is up there with boat ownership.

I have a Torq-Cut 22 Machining Center, and every time I turn around, I need $300 in tooling. Fortunately, it's paying for itself, slowly, but thats only because I have a few product lines that I am selling.

5k for that machine seems fair. I wouldn't call it a smokin' deal, but decent. Just make sure you have 1.5-2k extra to buy supporting software and tooling.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,731 Posts
X2. You could easily spend that much for the CAM software. also there is a learning curve. Have you ever used any CADAM software?

·
Registered
19,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X2. You could easily spend that much for the CAM software. also there is a learning curve. Have you ever used any CADAM software?
there is a learning curve in everything.....and no, I have not used Cadcam software....but, when I got this computor I couldn't type either.

Thanks for everybody chipping in with there thoughts

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you look around...you can find some cheap to free stuff for simple programming.
Hit cnczone.com
I am a CNC programmer by profession now and use Unigraphics NX all day.
But...I had seen folks that 3D model their parts in free Google SketchUp and use free trial versions of stuff like BobCAD to create the tool paths. There is alot of people doing CNC router sign stuff for wood that use some pretty friendly and cheap to free programs too.
Looks like a nice find.
I would spend the $5000 to have it in my garage.
I know its not the same...but price a new Bridgeport and compare the cost.
If i had more $$$ Haas makes a tool room series (full CNC control with manual handles too) that is priced less than what a manual Bridgeport with same travels is.
ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Why do you need CNC capability in your home shop? Unless you're making large quantities of identical parts, what is it going to do for you?
Most car-related parts (non-engine) are in pairs, LH/RH or Front/Back, etc.. Time and effort spent programing a CNC mill for onesys-twosies
seems to be a wasted.
$5K could buy you a nice used conventional mill and some useful accessories, like a rotary table, etc..

·
Administrator
136,692 Posts
Why do you need CNC capability in your home shop? Unless you're making large quantities of identical parts, what is it going to do for you?
Most car-related parts (non-engine) are in pairs, LH/RH or Front/Back, etc.. Time and effort spent programing a CNC mill for onesys-twosies
seems to be a wasted.
$5K could buy you a nice used conventional mill and some useful accessories, like a rotary table, etc..
A CNC will do more for you when doing prototype or 1 offs than it will do for large quantity production parts.. A CNC gives you flexability that a high volume transfer line or dial machine cant. Setups are quick for prototyping or 1 off compared to any other machine. Sure a manual mill is great for drilling holes, making slots or even spinning a circle on a rotary table.. but I wanna see someone do 3D work on one without a bunch of bench work.. :p

Also, its nice to hit cycle start and walk away for a few hours to surf the bullet.. rather than turning handles.. :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A CNC will do more for you when doing prototype or 1 offs than it will do for large quantity production parts.. A CNC gives you flexability that a high volume transfer line or dial machine cant. Setups are quick for prototyping or 1 off compared to any other machine. Sure a manual mill is great for drilling holes, making slots or even spinning a circle on a rotary table.. but I wanna see someone do 3D work on one without a bunch of bench work.. :p

Also, its nice to hit cycle start and walk away for a few hours to surf the bullet.. rather than turning handles.. :)

^^ Bingo ^^

You can download any crack version of a cad cam as well. I will take the cnc any day of week over a manual

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
As a machine tool dealer and service company, I would be very skeptical. Could be a good deal, as long as you don't expect too much, could be a waste of 5K. Is it new original install with warranty or someone elses mistake or factory return? I am not impressed with their sales pitch, smoke and mirrors to me.

Nothing wrong with belt driven servo. On trdiditional CNC knee mills they use this as a torque multiplier. Combine 6.25 Ft. Lbs. of torque with 1:1, lose a couple steps (open loop system) and your part is scrap.

Home position sensors? How do they get an accurate home position on an open loop system? There is not a switch out there that will repeat close to .001 much less .0001.

Why didn't they put a $300 PC on charge $500 more and make the machine functional out of the box.

If you want to use it manually, even with power off, there is a "clicky" resistance in steppers.

Re adjust the timing belt? Bullshit.

A step pulley head in 2011? Are you fucking kidding me?

I would MUCH rather have a used vari speed B - port with proto but not sure if you can find for $5K. Should be close though.

·
Registered
19,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The facts are......when you want answers you ask the bullet.

Thanks everybody

1 - 20 of 21 Posts