Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to cnc mill programming and operation but have caught on pretty well. We have 2 brand new Hurco cabinet mills, a vm10 and a vm20. We have 3 guys that run the 2 machines on 1 shift. They don't run non stop, they probably sit more than they run. We are a prototype shop so most jobs are just a one time run. Anyway, I'm trying to implement a tool library and i am wondering how other people approach this? We have a "library" within our programming software but whatever is in the machine isn't always what's in the software library for that tool number. Im just trying to come up with something simple we can agree on and follow. Also, do you guys use re-grind cutters and if so how or you implementing those into the mix? Just looking for advice, oppinions, feedback or whatever you can offer.

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,458 Posts
Not much of a way around it. You need to know what tool is in the holder and what position. If the tool changes location then the input needs to be changed. Being a prototype shop will lead to excessive user input. Your boys better be on their game or lots of broken bits and ruined parts will come.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
More power to you if you can pull it off. I'd need a 10k tool library probably. My library is in my head and do what I know is in catalogs. We have a machine that holds 504 tools. If I were to program an 80 tool job for that machine I'm sure at least 60 of the 80 wouldn't be in the machine.
We don't have much luck with reground even if the original company does it. A lot of what we do cost is not much of a factor, I know that's not the case for smaller shops on a tighter budget.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much of a way around it. You need to know what tool is in the holder and what position. If the tool changes location then the input needs to be changed. Being a prototype shop will lead to excessive user input. Your boys better be on their game or lots of broken bits and ruined parts will come.
We always calibrate each tool before running a program. The issue is if you program with a 1/2" being tool 7 then you get to the machine and tool 7 is something else, you have to then find a holder and a 1/2" mill and set it up. Our machines only hold 24 tools at a time. I'd like to program with a tool and know when i get to the machine i just have to check calibration and be on my way.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're a 3 billion a year company but they don't want to spend the money to outfit both machines with its own tools and holders. They don't understand it's a huge waste of time and pain in the ass to go find a regrind you can use then go back to programming. Tool performance aside, it sucks to have to try and program and search for tools in the process just so we can use re-grinds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.