Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have a clutch that will hold 1800hp (twin turbo BBC) and still be street-able? The trans will be a lenco if it matters. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think the only issue you would run into would be "chatter" when trying to take off easily. Most clutch's that can handle that kinda power will not like to slip very well with no load on them. Heat is only going to make it worse.

Parts may need to be replaced more offten due to the heat cycles also.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the only issue you would run into would be "chatter" when trying to take off easily. Most clutch's that can handle that kinda power will not like to slip very well with no load on them. Heat is only going to make it worse.

Parts may need to be replaced more offten due to the heat cycles also.
What are we talking about some kind of race only clutch? I have a Bruno now and was thinking of ditching it in favor of the clutch but it's has to be street friendly. And not break the bank if possible!:p

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
mark any kind of clutch that will work well, will be a multi disc set-up the isues will not be chatter. it will actually drive very well. the problems will be , that the adjustable stands get beat up pretty bad. my advice would be to get spare stands discs and floaters for the street, and have race set-up. they are so adjustable that drivability wouldn't be a problem. but good stuff aint cheep either. i would keep the bruno. becuase getting the clutch sorted out in a turbo car is not for the first time clutch tuner. it ain't easy.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mark any kind of clutch that will work well, will be a multi disc set-up the isues will not be chatter. it will actually drive very well. the problems will be , that the adjustable stands get beat up pretty bad. my advice would be to get spare stands discs and floaters for the street, and have race set-up. they are so adjustable that drivability wouldn't be a problem. but good stuff aint cheep either. i would keep the bruno. becuase getting the clutch sorted out in a turbo car is not for the first time clutch tuner. it ain't easy.
Thanks, How you been anyways? Maybe I'll stop by and talk to you about it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Torque slips the clutch, not HP. Clutch holding power is a function of diameter, number of plates, coefficient of friction, clamp load. Your torque will be in the range of some hopped up diesels like the Cummins B engine (Dodge pickups) and South Bend Clutch makes durable, streetable clutches for them. (just an example).

·
Registered
893 Posts
What are we talking about some kind of race only clutch? I have a Bruno now and was thinking of ditching it in favor of the clutch but it's has to be street friendly. And not break the bank if possible!:p

To run anything besides a full race clutch behind that much power will be useless!!

I don't think 1800 hp, clutch, and street friendly will ever go together.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I ran a solid iron disk on the street. Just turned down the static and it was super smooth. I had wanted to go back to a stick until I saw the leftovers from Mike Holdridges clutch explosion.:-Daw Holy CRAP!!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
To run anything besides a full race clutch behind that much power will be useless!!

I don't think 1800 hp, clutch, and street friendly will ever go together.
I agree with Chris. It is doable, no matter what. BUT, it really depends on what you call "streetable"(or how you plan on driving it on the street).

I'm sure Larry Larson is very careful when putz'n around with his Chevy II. As long as you control your right foot, even the craziest clutch can be made "streetable".

My wagon only has about 400# of clutch in it. I could daily drive it and never tear it up. You just have to know HOW to.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I agree with Chris. It is doable, no matter what. BUT, it really depends on what you call "streetable"(or how you plan on driving it on the street).

I'm sure Larry Larson is very careful when putz'n around with his Chevy II. As long as you control your right foot, even the craziest clutch can be made "streetable".

....You just have to know HOW to.
X2.

---Bill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts