Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Clutch type (posi) differential check

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TheNovaMan 
#1 ·
With the trans in park and one wheel off the ground, how much torque should I be able to apply without turning the axle? I've read breakaway torque numbers from 50 to 140 ft-lbs. I would have guessed more. If it matters, this is a factory 12-bolt posi.

#2 ·
This spec is good for when you're on snow, but when power is applied, I believe it forces pressure on the clutch disks, which helps them bind up and bite.
That being said, a few accidental 'one wheel peels' on a clutch type diff can smoke all the clutch plates. I'd avoid this type if possible, as some aren't even rebuildable.
Good Luck

#3 ·
This is the diff I've been using since about 2000 or so. I'm pretty sure it's good because it leaves equal length stripes side to side, but I wanted to be a little more quantitative about it. I hit one of the lug nuts with 90 and then 100 ft-lbs the other night, but I didn't dare put more than that to a steel wheel. I took one wheel off this evening and put a lug nut right up to the axle flange. 110 ft-lbs wrecked the threads on the factory stud. I think I'll just call it good.

#6 ·
Hmm... you know, it's difficult being retarded.
I checked it tonight with both ends in the air and the trans in park. That should lock the carrier in place, but the axles will turn (in opposite directions) if the clutches slip on both sides. 100 ft-lbs did nothing. I took a 4ft piece of 3/16" x 1" flat stock and stuck it between wheel studs and tried to move the axle. I bent the steel. Then I bent it back as best as I could and moved on to other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.