Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
years ago, i had a clutch turbo in a car, and i have a chance to buy one now-whats your opinion of them-i remember back then it was kind of a rude shift, but thought it was neat-it would be mainly a street car thing now, just wondering if fairbanks or sombody still has parts-thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I just joined this site as I was searching for info on a clutch turbo and fell upon this site - so this is my first post. I recently purchased a car with a B&M unit and I know zilch about it (except that it snaps your neck when it shifts :)) so I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions. I saw somewhere that people run it on the street which is what I'd like to do. I am concerned that there's no cooling for the unit though I understand there's no torque converter to generate heat. But wouldn't the internal parts working, engine heat, road heat generate enough heat to cause possible damage? What do people do for cooling? What should max heat the trannny temp be when operating?

Thanks for any help you can give. Vic

·
Clevelands Rule.
1,671 Posts
I have owned the same B&M clutch 400 since 1988, race car use only.
It has the cooler ports plugged and a bypass groove milled in the pump.
Never had any heat issues, always used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and a deeper pan.
Just wash out the filter every once and a while, and filter the oil thru a rag and re use.
I run approx .075" air gap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned the same B&M clutch 400 since 1988, race car use only. Mine will be mostly street use.
It has the cooler ports plugged and a bypass groove milled in the pump. What does this do?
Never had any heat issues, always used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and a deeper pan. How hot does the trans get?
Just wash out the filter every once and a while, and filter the oil thru a rag and re use.
I run approx .075" air gap. What air gap are you referring to? Thanx for the input.
Vic

·
Clevelands Rule.
1,671 Posts
Vic,
The milled port links the cooler outlet and return ports inside the pump, this is used because the cooler ports are plugged.
The air gap is gap between hat and disc when clutch is depressed, I check it with feeler gauges.
I have no temp gauge on the trans, but you can hold your hand on it at any time, this is a good rule of thumb that the oil is not getting to hot.
Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vic,
The milled port links the cooler outlet and return ports inside the pump, this is used because the cooler ports are plugged.
The air gap is gap between hat and disc when clutch is depressed, I check it with feeler gauges.
I have no temp gauge on the trans, but you can hold your hand on it at any time, this is a good rule of thumb that the oil is not getting to hot.
Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply - so sorry for the long delayed reply, life gets in the way sometimes... I'd imagine my pump setup would be like yours since my cooling lines are plugged. My question is would a stock pump need to be installed if I want to run an external cooler?
What kind of feeler gauge do you use being the hole in the blowproof bellhousing is around 3/8" dia? Someone suggested .075" gap, what did you use?
Great idea about touching the pan for "rule of thumb" temp check. I'll be dropping the tranny so I may just drill the pan and install a temp gauge at the same time. I'm experiencing a real bad vibration and I think the guy who installed it may've used an external balanced flywheel on an internal balanced engine - that's what it seems...

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts