Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am guilty of driving my spool around town but I know I'm not the only one.

I was just driving my car home from the grocery store and felt a jerk and clunk noise from the rear end.

I have never felt or heard this before so of course I thought I might of broke something. I was maybe going 10mph lightly on the throttle making a intersection turn.

This is a 9 inch, spool, 40 spline axles.

I just drained the fluid and it looks like new.

What else can I check? Is this normal? I was planning on racing this week but now want to attack this possible issue with the rear end.

Anyone had this issue? Thoughts? Thank you. Manny

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Well considering a spool makes both wheels turn the same speed all the time they don't like to go around corners, The wheel on the inside of the radius travels less than the wheel on the outside radius of the corner so something has to happen. Usually it the inside wheel scrubbing around the corner and yes sometimes makes a clunk noise as the rear end tries to twist due to the inside wheel losing and gaining traction multiple times as you turn.

·
Registered
16,396 Posts
I had a similar noise in mine last week. Was backing into a parking spot and ran over a rock from the landscaping that was round, and the size of a golf ball. Noticed the noise right away, and a saw a few rocks when I got out of the car. I assumed that is what it was, and haven't heard anything since. I think the clunk was the inner wheel rolling over the rock, and since its under load from the turn, it momentarily unloaded that wheel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update,

Unfortunately what I thought was clean gear oil was not. I was using a full synthetic Red Line MT-90. I know everyone has their own opinion but I should of been running something like torco 85-140 GL6. The car did have a little whine coming from the back so hopefully I caught it in time and the proper fluid will help keep the parts from going away.

Have any of you had issues running a full synthetic in your drag racing cars diff? At this point I just hope the rear end isn't ruined. Manny

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Check your suspension attaching points including the shocks. Making turns loads up the suspension and if you have any linkage joints with any play they can make noise.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your suspension attaching points including the shocks. Making turns loads up the suspension and if you have any linkage joints with any play they can make noise.
Check all the suspension and everything checked out good. Thank you for the recommendation. Manny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts