Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
20,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember when Chris had lost his hard drive on one of his computers years ago and then had to go about starting all over again. And I suggested after he got everything setup again to clone his hard drive with a new SSD and if it happened again all he would have to do is replace the hard drive with the cloned one and he would be up and running. Long story short I had a hard drive crash and I was lucky enough that I had cloned a hard drive on the shelf and installed it and was up and running. And I also had a backup hard drive hooked to a USB3 port that I would use to backup information folders to from time to time to make sure I didn't lose that information in case something happened, and I transfered those folders back on the computer and only lost some information not backed up in the last few days.

Good luck.

· A Senior Member
5,059 Posts
Well thanks for posting this BBF612. I am still fighting problems 5 months after losing a hard drive. I backed up to an external HD but the programs didn't. Reloading is a bitch and Gates doesn't help with updating his junk.

· Registered
20,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used a kit like the one below made by crucial. My crucial kit will let me use any hard drive, not sure about the kit below.

Found one that has the same software that the crucial kit came with, has been easy to use so far.

· Registered
20,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gutted this old amp and installed a SBC (single board computer) some time ago, and just now turned it into my music server, got about 150GB of music including the top 100 from 1950 to 2002. The light for the meters comes on when the computer is turned on and the meters move with hard drive activity.

Personal computer Computer Output device Audio equipment Flat panel display

· Registered
1,780 Posts
Yes cloning your drive is a great idea. But it does not mean everything will like it and run. I know the software I wrote with David Vizard will not run and needs to be Unlocked / reactivity and Larry Meaux's Pipe Max is the same way.

Stan

· Registered
652 Posts
Yes cloning your drive is a great idea. But it does not mean everything will like it and run. I know the software I wrote with David Vizard will not run and needs to be Unlocked / reactivity and Larry Meaux's Pipe Max is the same way.

Stan
Try to make a bit for bit copy on a block level, my post gives the command to perform it with *nix. Most cloning software for Windows doesn’t work on that level. When I used to clone hundreds of machines, financial sector, we used ‘dd’ for that exact issue. It allowed them to move a legacy machine to a virtual machine.

Find someone you trust that does reverse engineering and re-write it in C. You’ll never suffer a portability issue again.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
Try to make a bit for bit copy on a block level, my post gives the command to perform it with *nix. Most cloning software for Windows doesn’t work on that level. When I used to clone hundreds of machines, financial sector, we used ‘dd’ for that exact issue. It allowed them to move a legacy machine to a virtual machine.

Find someone you trust that does reverse engineering and re-write it in C. You’ll never suffer a portability issue again.
Sorry but it is not a portability issue. The software was designed this way. Just had to help someone this past weekend. They ran out of space and so they cloned their drive onto a new 2 terabyte drive.

Stan

· Registered
20,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Looking around the net and found this docking station and 16TB used enterprise hard drive for 200$ you can have all the back up and storage a normal person could ask for. I've been using a used 4TB enterprise hard drive for my security camera system for years, records 8 cameras 24/7 for over 40 days before it starts writing over. I would not clone my operating system and programs on this drive use a new smaller SSD type of drive for that, mark it and put it in a safe place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts