Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, this isn't about global climate change. Last Saturday night at Atlanta Dragway, my competitor and I both broke out, him by about 3 hundredths and me, by about 5 hundredths. The air had not changed by any big amount, about 200 DA change down and temperature maybe 2 degrees from the previous run. My short time was identical, only 1 thousandth separated the two. The bike picked up not quite1 hundredth to the eighth and mph was virtually identical. By the stripe, it had picked up 4 hundredths and 2 mph. Now, my bike never picks up this much in the second half, and the other guy did too and he didn't expect it either. So, the question is: can there be that large of a weather change during a run to affect the performance that much? I know it sounds weird and I may just be grasping at straws, but I have seen it rain at the big end and be dry at the starting line. Maybe someone else has experienced this and can enlighten me.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I've seen lots of difference down track, especially at big facilities with large grandstands that only go to a certain point. You get breezes that cool the air, and even dew point changes in the open end of the track that aren't there in the closed end surrounded by stands, and people, and burnouts, and cars in the staging lanes, etc.

Don't know if that's the cause of your issue, and if the change was enough to effect your run that much, but... yes, micro-climates are a thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts