Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get some in Australia? The plate type that bolt on with your headers, I have found 6 even if someone has 2 to get rid of?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just get some header flanges and make your own, must be a welder around there that can weld 4 "tongues" in the right place, and just bolt the flange between the header and head.
yeah might be the my only option atm

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would order from the US under normal circumstances but would be a gamble to get them here with whats going on at the moment

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
No problem with delivery of freight from USA here to Oz.
For me it depends what is used... USPS im still waiting for stuff from April... its slooow.

Fed ex and DHL happens quickly, usually a week or less.

Ebay global shipping is ok.

So id avoid regular USPS, thats been my experience.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
You sure they are a good idea? Most headers turn straight down coming out of the cylinder head... and blocking off the lower part of the port could seem like the wrong thing to do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every alloy head has a port floor which does not match the mostly 4v headers used on them and run good, and I believe it speeds up the flow out of the port even if it slows back down when it gets to the not ideal pipe match.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My understanding of using tongues in the exh ports of factory 4V heads. There was a huge lump in the port floor to accomodate a coolant passage. This rendered the area between the hump, the floor & port exit as a dead area. The tongue reduced this.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I actually only seen gains with tongues on lower rpm stuff. On 6000 and up if ported i never seen anything on dyno in terms of gains. I know the actual prostock plate was said to gain 20 hp at 8500 plus rpm

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The 351c 4v exhaust port isn’t as bad as most people think it is. The key is getting the header flange to closely match the port, many 1 3/4” headers don’t match up very well. You’ll notice that even with poor exhaust port flow numbers, the iron 4v heads still make strong power, especially at high rpm.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I actually only seen gains with tongues on lower rpm stuff. On 6000 and up if ported i never seen anything on dyno in terms of gains. I know the actual prostock plate was said to gain 20 hp at 8500 plus rpm
I’d think the gains observed in lower rpm setups might have something to due with the header size being used.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
You could be right. We made plates for two bronco projects i did. One was 357 cubes the other was 408. Both seen gains with 1 3/4 tube size header on dyno and also thats the only factory header built to fit bronco. So we made a plste that transitions nice from the 4v exh flange to the 2v 1 3/4 size. Worked very well.
Note the plate between header flange.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts