Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of building a 509ci bbc with a F-2. The problem im running into is the 7/16 pushrods are rubbing the heads. Now i have tried to use the adjustable guide plates and on #1 cyclinder the guide plate hits the head stud before i can get the clearance i need. Im running the brodix bb2x heads. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Is the only way to correct the problem to run shaft rocker and offset lifters? If so what are you'lls setups?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
There are differant ways to fix this,

1- run an off-set lifter

2- run off-set rockers

3- grind on the heads for clearance of push-rods, this is the most common way to do things. There's more meat there most of the time than people think. It can be done on the engine but make sure you tape EVERY THING UP GOOD and use a shop vac at the same time. A good way to make sure you have enough clearance is to use a peiace of sand paper to slide down beside the push rod(s) one at a time. This does two things, it leaves a mark if you still need more clearance and the other is most sand paper is anywhere from .015" and up and show's what clearance you do have. It's nice to have at least .035"-.050" min. clearance, things do move around.

Good luck..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
X2 on the grinding. There is plenty of material. I was able to fit a Manton 7/16 x 1/2 " taper on my intakes and a 1/2" straight wall on my exhausts, with a 1.8 rocker.Just go slow and don't think you need gobs of room. I ground mine so the head act as a bit of a guid plate, .005 clearance. Yes the rod may touch the head, no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about grinding the heads but, kinda scared! It doesn't look like there is anything really there to grind on. I would hate to grind a hole in a new set of heads.

Thanks for your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts