Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen some cars with these clear "stickers" that go over the front end to protect the paint. anyone know of an online source for these?? I want to make one for my tank & for my seat cover to keep them from getting scratches.

thanks
Bob

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
3m makes it also.....several places sell it but Eastwood Co. is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. Might also try a local autobody / paint supply place.

Craig

·
Cry me a river
1,470 Posts
I was the product designer for a company that produced this type of product for years . Be VERY carefull in what product you use as the are night and day . 3m makes one of the worst products you can buy . If you are needing a small amount I have some here at the shop of very high quality i can give ya . I have installed this product on several top fuel cars and boats as well as WAY TO MANY drag bikes . shoot me a PM if ya need some info .

This product was initially made for the military in desert storm to protect the blades of the choppers from the sand blasting they got flying over the desert .

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm a dealer for Xpel which used to use 3M and i can vouch for how much it sucks. However Xpel just released their own Paint protection film that is light years ahead of anything else i"ve ever tried. You can buy the kits directly from Xpel.com but they aren't cheap. check out the kits on their site and let me know what kits you want and i'll see what kind of pricing i can get.

Bill

·
Cry me a river
1,470 Posts
the new Xpel is good product also .

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that Xpel stuff looks cool. what is in that magic solution thats used to put it on?? is that dish soap kind of a thing???? will I have to buy $50 worth of thier magic solution to put on my little pieces?? LOL.

thanks for the help guys!!!

Bob

·
Cry me a river
1,470 Posts
What ever you do DO NOT DO NOT use ANY kind of soap solution . In testing we did at the Univ of Purdue it was found that the detergent was the leading cause for adhesive failure .

·
Registered
268 Posts
No the magic solution is a mixture of alcohol, water and some type of gel. With the old 3M stuff we had to use a slip agent to stretch and alcohol to stick the material down. Now with the new installation gel its a 1 part install. You should only need 1 quart of it.

Bill

·
Cry me a river
1,470 Posts
Not sure on xpel but the gel in some install solutions is the product that makes soap slipery . I think its called xantham gum . it is also used in food as a preservative . Just a lil scientific info hehehe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts