Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a System 1 oil filter on my car for 6 years or so. It's got a 30 micron SS mesh filter that has been cleaned several times with mineral spirits followed by hot water/w dish washing soap. After it gets a good back flush from the house water hose, then I blow it out with compressed air from the inside out as if I were trying to back flush it.

I'm starting to wonder at some point if it can be cleaned more thoroughly or should I replace it with a new element. Never had a problem with it but when I talked with a manufacturer of these type of filter elements years ago I seem to remember him stating that you can never clean them 100% back to new condition.

These are the same type mesh filters used in many of the aftermarket fuel filters, just a larger size. Anyone have any useful information on this subject?

·
Long Live The King
102,243 Posts
Before I switched to the Baldwin filters I ran the System 1's for years ( like 12-15 years)

Always flushed them from the inside out with diesel fuel first, then in the solvent tank, followed by the air gun, then soaked them in diesel fuel for a few minutes, then hit with the air hose.

I always flushed them first in a clean black catch pan to better see what came out of them. At the second treatment of diesel fuel there was never anything left to come out of them.

·
Registered
16,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before I switched to the Baldwin filters I ran the System 1's for years ( like 12-15 years)

Always flushed them from the inside out with diesel fuel first, then in the solvent tank, followed by the air gun, then soaked them in diesel fuel for a few minutes, then hit with the air hose.

I always flushed them first in a clean black catch pan to better see what came out of them. At the second treatment of diesel fuel there was never anything left to come out of them.
Before I flush the filter I let drain enough to handle without making too much of a mess. Then I exam it with a jewelers magnifier to see what has been trapped. Very interesting what you can see this way.

One of the most interesting things is the amount of hairs that show up the first time after a rebuild. Recently, not as much as when I had dogs, but I always find hairs. LOL

·
T/S 368E
30,073 Posts

Fresh mineral spirits in a clean bucket, then brake clean, and blow it out with air, zero issues ever.

·
Registered
16,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts