Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone who races pretty much gets some rubber on the painted panels of their cars. I have used isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove it and it seems to work real well. It doesn't dissolve it so it smears all over it just makes it not sticky so it comes off. If you have the problem you might give it a try. It doesn't hurt the paint either. I've tried about everything anyone has in a shop and this seems best for me. RM

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
WD 40 or kerosene.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't like the way the Geddex looked on my car and the WD40 smears like kerosene, charcoal lighter fludid, lighter fluid, varsol, mineral spirits, wax remover and all the solvents i tried. Alcohol don't smear at all. Basically it just lets the rubber get non sticky and come off. It just seems to work pretty well for me. RM

·
T/S 368E
33,869 Posts

I use the stuff professional body shops use for final prep. It cleans anything, grease, dirt, rubber ect. Leaves zero residue & doesn't hurt any finish.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I use the Stoner products Tarminator. It takes 1 spray to loosen then wipe, then one more spray and its gone. If you decide to keep that handy instead of the rubbing alcohol. I will definately give the alcohol a try next time though.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
here is something i been wanting to try. How about the rear quarters with a layer of clear contact paper. have used it before on hoods for on the highway bugs.Peel it off after your done then a guick waax and your ready to install again next time for the next race.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
PB blaster works really well

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Prep-sol works also..then rewax it back up and lay a thick coat of Vasoline on themwhen you race..after that it just wipes off.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I use aerosol spray tire dressing on the lower 1/4s, nothing sticks to it. After a race I wipe it right off then wash it. Ten year old original black paint and it still looks great after 4 years of racing the car every other weekend. I'm not mini tubbed or tubbed so they get covered pretty good with rubber after one race.

·
Nitrous Junky
10,820 Posts
My painter just came up with this clear film that we put on. Cost $35 a roll for 50ft and takes about three ft per race. pulls off in less then a minute!

Beats the hell out of rubbing the paint for 30 minutes that is for sure!

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Geddex Burnout Guard always worked pretty well for me. Spray it on in the morning, race all day, and hose the rubber off in the evening...
Same here - works great - BUT you have to hoe it off that night or the next day. If it sits more than a day or so, it doesn't seem to come off as well anymore. So I have found anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts