tried it tonite
took about ten min a piston and it just washed off
pistons look almost new
going to pull the rings off and see how it does cleaning out the ring lands
yes it's pretty ******* but it worked

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
Pretty much any chemical works better warm, the problem is that many of them (vapors) can become downright dangerous, toxic or explosive

Be careful. Read the warnings. I would not use a BBQ (open flame), but rather something like........

Go to the thrift stores and find a small electric hot plate / warming pad / or even something like an eletric stew pot / croc pot

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point on the dangers of doing this
yes I wouldn't use anything flammable in it
I made shure what I used was not going to go boom lol
and use with good ventilation I did it outside

was thinking a thrift store crock pot would work great
for small parts
and I have used oven cleaner before but this worked way better

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
around the shop i been using LAs totally awesome pick it up that the dollar store i like it .i was thinking of using it in my jet washer. i had eveyones soap in the washer . but still all ways dealing with carbon or it takes new cnc heads and etches them nothing so far i been happy with some one told me to just buy dish washing soap and use it? hell been looking at sonic cleaners $$ well very small table top just to do cranks .cam .oilpumps roller lifters stuff like that . most customers do not under stand the time and cost to clean parts . i did not at first know.i do now i spend more time cleaning engine parts so i can machine them then to time to machine them :(

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
Pretty much any chemical works better warm, the problem is that many of them (vapors) can become downright dangerous, toxic or explosive

Be careful. Read the warnings. I would not use a BBQ (open flame), but rather something like........

Go to the thrift stores and find a small electric hot plate / warming pad / or even something like an eletric stew pot / croc pot
I would be careful with the caustic things like oven cleaner and aluminum
I quoted both these guys because when messing with chemicals both these things are worth remembering.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Go to your local GM dealer and ask for a few cans of rust penetrant/inhibitor and heat valve lubricant. I've been using it for my whole career, and I've never seen anything that works better on oily grime, carbon and varnish. Does a fantastic job right at room temp, and will not etch metal parts. Use it in a well ventilated area because it STINKS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts