Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any pics of novas or camaros with the chute mount out the flip down lience plate? the more pics the better, im trying to not cut the trunk pan all up

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will 1 1/2" .095 wall be ok for the cross bar and 1 1/4" be ok for the chute mount? and can that be welded to the trunk floor with a square pad like a role bar?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
What size tubing will slip inside 1 5/8 .083 tight?
You have to cut down the O.D. on a 1-1/2 .083 to get a tube inside 1-5/8. This is how we slug cages and frames. Most chute tugs that we build use a 1-1/2 tube and 1-3/8 slides right inside. To get measuring numbers just take the tubes O.D. number and subtract thickness 2 times and that will give you I.D.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I will use 1 1/2 and 1 3/8 thanks a lot!

You have to cut down the O.D. on a 1-1/2 .083 to get a tube inside 1-5/8. This is how we slug cages and frames. Most chute tugs that we build use a 1-1/2 tube and 1-3/8 slides right inside. To get measuring numbers just take the tubes O.D. number and subtract thickness 2 times and that will give you I.D.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Don't look at mess, car had a boo boo it's last pass.

You've got to be kidding? Unless I'm missing something the center "chute mount tube" is not attached to anything.......have you ever used a chute? There is HUGE forces at work with a properly mounted chute. Especially on a heavy car. The chute mount needs to be mounted as rigid as the suspension.

·
T/S 368E
35,240 Posts

Hey "mr" 6 posts, who's pictures are you looking at. You're OBVIOUSLY missing something,:rolleyes: put your glass' on.
8.50 @ 159, 3200 lbs. 3000+ pass' since 1982.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
You've got to be kidding? Unless I'm missing something the center "chute mount tube" is not attached to anything.......have you ever used a chute? There is HUGE forces at work with a properly mounted chute. Especially on a heavy car. The chute mount needs to be mounted as rigid as the suspension.
i've done several chute mounts this way with no issues. how would you do it? go thru the cell? doesn't get much more rigid than the cage.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/origjmkill/DSC00273.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/origjmkill/DSC00274.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/origjmkill/DSC00265.jpg

·
T/S 368E
35,240 Posts

What the hell kind of reply did you expect when you call someone a liar & then stupid. Nobody knows everything, certainly not me.
I do have 4 cars sitting in my shop. I tend to get a little pissed off when insulted. I've been dragracing 27 years & a helper for 34 years.
Since you're the expert, show us how you built your car. That car has a stock frame, front to back, stock wheel wells.
Please, share your brilliance.

Thanks for the input overkill. Nice idea on yours, looks nice.

·
Registered
721 Posts

I admit that this is not a great example....or pic, but it is the only one I have of stock frame style chute mount.

I could show you pics of the chute mount on my car, but it has no real value to this conversation due to it being a composite bodied 25.1E chassis.

·
T/S 368E
35,240 Posts
I could show you pics of the chute mount on my car, but it has no real value to this conversation due to it being a composite bodied 25.1E chassis.

I wouldn't know anything about a carbon fiber 25.1E car. The car with my name & number on it.
The license in my signature is just a stolen picture & fake license!!

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
so can i do it like a cage and use some plate welded to the floor?
you should attach it to the frame or cage the body wouldn't support it by itself i agree with neetchracer in that there is alot of force there but, i feel the cage is an acceptable mounting location. i think a few chute releases and you would see the plates starting to stress the body and eventually rip out and if the car is heavy enough and fast enounh may not take long.

just my 2 cents,
Justin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts