Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Chevy II, basically stock front suspension. It's 3000lbs, ladder bar, small tire, 18* SBC with big fogger tune. Runs 5.30s at about 135. Looking at options to upgrade the front suspension. I've read up on the Mustang II based front clips, Chromemoly tube clips, and various aftermarket control arm/rack upgrades. The Mustang II (square tube, modern factory style control arms) seem very limited in front ent travel, the chromemoly clips cost a fortune and are not legal in many classes, and I'm not sure the rack/control arm kits get me where I need to be (safe at speed). If you have some experience with this situation, please le me know what you did and why. I don't want a do-over from not doing enough the first time, but i don't want to spend a fortune on a high $$ clip if the kits like Church Boys solves the geometry issues. I currently have Santhuff shocks and springs for the stock application - hate to scrap those too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't want a do-over from not doing enough the first time, but i don't want to spend a fortune on a high $$ clip
This was all I needed to read.

You will spend just as much upgrading the stock suspension vs. getting an aftermarket MII clip. Plus the modified stock clip will still not perform as well as a MII nor be as lightweight(100 lbs difference). Not to mention that aftermarket parts like brake kits and coilovers are easier to find for cheap than the OEM clip.

How much caster are you running on your clip right now? The most I've seen on a modified stock clip is +3. The aftermarket clips can run up to 7-8 degrees.

Also, bump steer is still very evident even with these bolt on rack & pinion and control arm kits.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts
From what I've read on SNS the Church Boys Kit is very nice. I put an AJE clip on my car and am happy with it.
AJE makes a Nova clip? No kidding!:)

I just searched and found it. That looks perfect for me.
Does you car see street time? I am trying to build a high 9 sec 66 on radials like you have already done from the looks of you sig.

Any way how does the AJE front clip act on the street? I hope to drive the heck out of my car. Dragweek, power tour, etc.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Buy the smith racecraft stuff......mine helped save me from broken legs or worse.......front end inpact with wall at 100mph+ and got out without a scratch.........top shelf stuff.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used the chris alston coil over set up on a customers 66 nova street car, it goes 10.40s all day and drives very well on the street. i bought the smith racecraft set up for my own project a 66 wagon that will do double duty as a streeter/grudge car.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
AJE makes a Nova clip? No kidding!:)

I just searched and found it. That looks perfect for me.
Does you car see street time? I am trying to build a high 9 sec 66 on radials like you have already done from the looks of you sig.

Any way how does the AJE front clip act on the street? I hope to drive the heck out of my car. Dragweek, power tour, etc.
It will not be able to run in the stock susp classes in Hot Rods Class set ups because of the strut conversion but looks like a Smith Race Craft clone

·
Registered
219 Posts
I will agree that the Smith Racecraft peice is probably nicer than the AJE clip. There design is much simpler and cleaner but I'm not convinced its any stronger. Both clips have the same down bars and frame bars that connect up front. I have read some horror stories about the AJE clips but the one that I have is a nice peice. If I would have had the extra 2,500 bucks at the time I ordered I'd have a Smith unit. KW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts