Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 PT Cruiser, the ignition cyl turned and dash lights came on and no start. I jumped the starter and it started up so I could drive it home, pulled the FP relay to shut it off and disconnected the battery. I pulled the column apart and found the actuator broken where it goes into the switch. Seems to be a common problem so I bought a Dorman replacement. The Dorman part has a spring loaded brass piece at the front and a small bar that rides on the actuator, my old one doesn't have either of these.It also came with spring to push the bar up which I'm guessing locks the steering wheel. Mine didn't have the spring either when I pulled it down. This car was purchased new so I know it's never been apart before. Now for the real bad part the POS Dorman piece doesn't fit into the double D shaped hole in the factory ignition switch.
Anyone done one of these? Is there a better part out there that actually fits? Why didn't mine have these other pieces and does it matter?
This is the Dorman part Ignition Switch Actuator Pin | 924-704 | Ignition Switch Actuator Pin | Dorman Products

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had watched that video. Mine is just like his as I didn't have the extra parts. I used the POS Dorman part but mine wouldn't slide in and clip into the ign switch like his did. I had to file the part that went into the ign switch to clean up the crappy casting so it would fit. I swapped over the cast piece to my original plastic holder as it looked better quality than the Dorman one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts