Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
T/S 368E
28,312 Posts

Mine is 6.0 from 1994, they don't care, as long as it's got the right bars, he passes it.
As said, no age limit.
Look at all the 1980's out there still running quick!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Steel has a fatigue life.
Welds have a fatigue life.
Both need to be exercised to create what is called strain (related to stress) to be "counted" towards damage.
Damage is a term used to describe how much life is used up per a load cycle.
So, to fatigue out a chassis, it needs to go through several load cycles to accumulate enough damage to be called "worn out."
To answer the question, the chassis on a shelf accumulates no damage as it not gone through any fatigue, or load cycles.
If you drop it taking it off the rack, that could be a huge load cycle that creates enough damage to call it "failed." :)

In the big picture, I don't know of any drag racing types that have measured strain on several passes to know what bars are loaded and by how much.
The most common failure indicator is the dreaded crack at a weld, which is TIGged or schMIGged back together and cracks again which is then improved with more metal and weld...
If you use a smartphone with slo-mo video, you can often see bending and flexing going on and have a good idea where to inspect later.

·
T/S 368E
28,312 Posts

We know fresh pipe is better than old 3000 runs on it pipe.
I've seen enough racing to believe that.
Many times a brand new car in the fuel classes especially, works better than an older model.
How much better who knows, rich guys get fresh pipe, us little guys buy the used stuff for 1/2 the price and couldn't be happier!!!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Probably one of the biggest ways to wear out a chassis is by miles traveled on/in a trailer not supported correctly. Set up your go-pro and watch a unsupported chassis going down the road--now add up all the miles traveled--they see abuse without being supported and tied down correctly big time.

Reactions: Horndog

·
Registered
334 Posts
In the Book “Doorslamers, the Chassis Book” by Dave Morgan, he basically spells it out. An old proStock car, after a year or two is basically worn out. As 1969Dart said above, trailer miles probably do more to kill a chassis then anything else. It will also kill your shocks. I use a inflatable chassis stabilizer under the k-frame.

·
T/S 368E
28,312 Posts

Maybe worn out to get every 0.001 out of the pass, but they are still good & safe vehicles for what the rest of us use them for.

I do admit I've been very lazy on my towing system, and will be paying a lot more attention from now on.
I'm getting a total upgrade, and don't want to wear out all the new pieces prematurely!!!!

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
A friend of mine asked if i wanted to apply at a TopAlky Dragster team. They needed a welder. He said the chassis cracks often and gets inspected for that all the time. It gets fixed between races several times a season.

·
Registered
15,899 Posts
A friend of mine asked if i wanted to apply at a TopAlky Dragster team. They needed a welder. He said the chassis cracks often and gets inspected for that all the time. It gets fixed between races several times a season.
And often at the track. Remember Team Torch? Garlits was the first racer I remember carrying a welder in his trailer. Pro cars are built on the edge of being underbuilt, to save weight. Construction means more than age or number of passes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts