Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me info for chroming glass bumpers, someone who has experience. Thanks Butch (get to work Monty)!!LOL!! :-D

·
Super Moderator
35,260 Posts
Butch call Scott Williams... he just had his done and I saw it at Stanton it looked SWEET!

BTW- We got engine work to do man Chrome bumpers aren't worth any ET!! :-D

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Butch, let me know was well. We could get both sets done as a package, since there the same cars. John 8)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Two places that do excellent work..........

Spectrum Chrome sys.
678-557-1294, ask for Jim Fox
or email me at
[email protected]

XXXPlating
[email protected]
www.xxxplating.com
414-839-9598, ask for Kevin

The better quality fiberglass you have the less the cost/prep it takes to do the bumpers.

Wes

·
Registered
187 Posts
Butch Kemp said:
Can someone give me info for chroming glass bumpers, someone who has experience. Thanks Butch (get to work Monty)!!LOL!! :-D
Butch,

Call Associated Electroplaters in Hazel Park (on 9 mile at Hughes) I worked there back in the late 70's and I know they still do it. They are a Prototype house but will do outside work. I just had some Hemi Valve Covers plated there.

If the fiberglass is preped and primed the cost will be less, but make no mistake the process is not cheap. The base of the the plating surface is a product manufactured by Dupont, which has a silver base to it which acts as a conductor.

This silver base is sprayed to the primed fiberglass bumper, it is then mounted on a racking system with the contact point also painted with the silver base paint. Copper anoid's are placed in front of the bumper to aid in the deposit of copper to the bumper. They will put aprox. 2.5 - 3.0 hours of copper, then the bumper will b removed from the copper bath unracked and polished with grease and various grit polishing wheels. then depending on the condition of the bumper it may either be copper buffed or placed back into the copper bath for additional copper for buffing.

Once the copper finish has been buffed it will then be reracked with a nichel anoid placed in front of the bumper to again aid in the deposit of the nichel build up, normally 1.5 hours, then the bumper is removed from the bath rinsed and chromed.

This is a real quick over view of the plating process.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts