Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on selecting a rear tire for the upcoming Roadkill Nights drag race on Woodward Ave. I have been running my '69 Nova on M/T 275 Pro Radials with mid 1.2 second 60' but on well prepped drag strips.

For the Roadkill event the rules for small tire class state: "Non 'W' 28x10.5x15 or smaller DOT drag radial or bias DOT. Any 275/60/15 DOT drag radial".

Anybody care to share their experience on marginal-to-no prep surfaces. Which is the preferred tire?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would say a 275 pro or a hoosier 275/60 drag radial. Any bias DOT tire you get in a 28/10.5 will be smaller than the 275 because they measure width by section width, not tread.

That being said, the consensus is that a bias is always better on a no/low prep surface, so that might still have the advantage even if it is narrower.

Yeah, I know this post was not helpful.

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Do not run a radial at that event. Run a 28x10.5 stiff, and maybe even a tube as well. This is not a high horsepower event, its a power management event. I recently switched from running a 28x10.5W, to 275 pro, and with the major changes it took to get that car to hook on radial prep, and what I saw at RKN last year, and radial will not get you moving.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,327 Posts
Do not run a radial at that event. Run a 28x10.5 stiff, and maybe even a tube as well. This is not a high horsepower event, its a power management event. I recently switched from running a 28x10.5W, to 275 pro, and with the major changes it took to get that car to hook on radial prep, and what I saw at RKN last year, and radial will not get you moving.
the guy who qualified #1 in the small tire class was running a radial. looked like he got it going on all 3 passes :cool:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
the guy who qualified #1 in the small tire class was running a radial. looked like he got it going on all 3 passes :cool:
Did you catch what kind of times he was running? I think the fastest big tire car was in the 5.70 range. My fastest pass was a 6.30 on big tires, should be faster this year if I can hook.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry Buddy.
If your car has antisquat for a radial, run a radial. If it works on a bias tire then run a bias tire...…..My junk does NOT work on a bias without major adjustments.

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Sorry Buddy.
If your car has antisquat for a radial, run a radial. If it works on a bias tire then run a bias tire...…..My junk does NOT work on a bias without major adjustments.
Hi Shane. For you and Honk, how do you guys make a radial work on an unprep'd track. I have just switched over, and gotten the car to work, on a 275 pro. Very happy with the results, but the track prep needs to be pretty decent to make it work right. How do you guys make it work? Pull timing on the brake and ramp back in accordingly?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Typically your normal timing on the brake, ramp timing out over .25-.3 seconds, (which is barely your rollout) and then ramp back in accordingly, would like to hear other opinions also,

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,327 Posts
Hi Shane. For you and Honk, how do you guys make a radial work on an unprep'd track. I have just switched over, and gotten the car to work, on a 275 pro. Very happy with the results, but the track prep needs to be pretty decent to make it work right. How do you guys make it work? Pull timing on the brake and ramp back in accordingly?
i don't know still trying to figure it all out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts