Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
A Senior Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking I'd better get the bucket of 3" tablets for the pool. No problem, I will just get the ones on Amazon from "In The Swim" like last year. Nope, unavailable for purchase, wtf, and then I found this article after searching the internet:

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,742 Posts
was at walmart last week, no chlorine on the shelves, plenty of shock and other chems tho

·
A Senior Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was at walmart last week, no chlorine on the shelves, plenty of shock and other chems tho
I just bought 12 bags of shock before they are gone.

·
A Senior Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well shit.
better stock up on gallon bleach bottles now
Hopefully this didn't affect our local chemical supplier. They supply the local pool places with 5 gallon pails of the liquid.

Reactions: Maindrian Pace

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
We had some sort of shortage at the university I worked for back in 2002. We took care of an Olympic sized pool, indoor 1/2 Olympic and 4 apartment pools. We gathered up all the pellets and powder and took care of the big pools with that. The 4 others we used bottled bleach for a few weeks. I don't remember all the details exactly but I think we had to offset some of the other ingredients in the bleach with more than usual alkaline products like soda ash. We were told to keep it hush hush, we did, and we got by.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
just ordered a couple of buckets of 3" pucks. 13lb bucket $20 off reg price. $50 instead of $70

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
charcoal next.............then snow shovels..............Christmas Trees..........................we will never run out of alcohol or drugs though

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
If there is an actual chlorine shortage, pools are the least of your worries.

If it's only the tablets that are scarce, use liquid hypo (Sodium Hypochlorite).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Can they make anything on the gulf coast without blowing shit up? How many fires and explosions have there been down there in the last few years?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Just did work today at a plant that makes Chlorine. Actually capable of making pure Chlorine once new facility is up running 100%

·
A Senior Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If there is an actual chlorine shortage, pools are the least of your worries.

If it's only the tablets that are scarce, use liquid hypo (Sodium Hypochlorite).
Very true for our domestic water supply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very true for our domestic water supply.
I actually saw the fire in question from close by. It happened due to a power failure during hurricane Laura. I work at a nearby plant, but used to work in the complex with this facility. It's NOT a chlorine shortage. It's a specific process that creates the chlorinated tablets, using trichlorcyanauric acid. It's a completely different method of putting chlorine into your pool. the tablets are much more concentrated than shock, and more stable. Shock production is done at other facilities, and not affected by this plant fire. But it will cause a run on shock, because the tablets are not available. One thing for sure, DO NOT put these 2 different chlorine compounds together. They will react violently.

RIP

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I bought 3 25 lb buckets of 3 inch tabs at Walmart yesterday 3 of our local Walmart’s had decent invetory. I saw the story on local news and went to Amazon to buy some and saw they had pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I heard about this, may be another tp run, but I picked up 12jugs liquid from my chemical supplier yesterday and ordered 3 boxes of burnout35 shock! Pucks I use very little, mainly on busy long weekends so I don't have to baby sit pool adding liquid chlorine to the piss tank.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Picked up a 25 pound pail of 3 inch tabs yesterday from our local pool supply store and it was $95.

The other day Wal Mart had plenty of liquid chlorine but no shock or tabs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts