Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about some opinions of the accuracy of a Norinco SKS 7.62x39 (made in China). I was thinking about putting a scope on it to play around with pop cans, coyote's etc but I was told these arent very accurate, maybe a 100 yards or so at best. Just wanted to be sure I dont waste too much time or money doing it if its a bad idea.
Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
your results will vary WILDLY depending on the ammo used, bore condition, and the rifles stock bedding, I had one awhile back that with good ammo would keep about a 2.5" hundred yard group, but with ammo it didn,t like it was more like 15" groups at 100 yards

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey Jakester! I have a Norinco SKS and have had it for a long time. Far more accurate than the AK47s. No problem shooting 100 yards with a decent scope. If you're wanting to go out much further than that I would do a hi-po rifle in the caliber needed to assainate what you want. ;) Not sure in Lone Jack where you might find more than 100 yards to shoot. LMAO

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
sks will be fine for that in my opinion once its sighted in

·
Registered
678 Posts
Have 4 SKS, 2 new from when I was in the Air Cav in Nam, 2, I got over the years, 1 is restocked and scoped with Red Star equipment. All shoot very well at 200 yards. Did spend some time getting the sites adjusted right. Open sites are in a little less then 3" groups, about 2" groups with the scope at 200 yards using old surplus ammo.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I thought that the mount that is required to put a scope on a SKS was the problem?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I bought a cheap scope and mount kit for mine for like $80...shoots great for what it is.
The only thing I have ever shot through it is steel cased Wolf. Without sighting the scope,,just bolted it on and went to the range it shot 3" groups at 100 yards.

·
Ronald Reagans Ultra Ego.
7,452 Posts
If you do a little hand loading you'll improve the accuracy greatly, they aren't tack drivers, but the can do good for the $$$ spent.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Is it one that is milled or stamped...I went through 3 cases to find one that was milled. I only paid $120 for it. Even still I was not impressed and sold it for what I paid for it. It was mediocre at best out to 100 yds. I personally wouldn't sink a ton of money into it and unless you alredy have the dies I wouldn't bother loading for it. To me it would be the same as putting a set of billet wheels on a Yugo.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a China a Russian . I shot the China one back in the day and it shot pretty good @ 100 yards, using surplus ammo.

And the Russian gun is like new , and only had a few shots thru it, not by me, ( a buddy)..

I brought these basically for play guns and now great to have around just in-case we need them here, in years to come.. ;)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bore on that one is in good shape, as was said, ammo quality will have a big impact on accuracy. Did ya shoot it yet? Chris

Havent shot it yet Chris. Waiting to get the scope on it. I gotta shoot with my left eye and with the sites so tight its all I can do to press my cheek into my cheek bone to see thru it. Sure that would leave some bruising,LOL. Got the scope mount and deflection sheild ordered, now I just gotta pick out a scope and load it up to go pop can hunting,LOL.
Thanks guys for the responces. I cant remember what brand it was but I picked up some ammo at Walmart. Whats some good brands to get or stay away from then? Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a Russian with a milled reciever. I have a cheaper Bushnell scope and a sysnthetic stock. I got it about 20 years ago. Haven't shot it a whole bunch, and I am a pretty crappy shot, but I have kept all 30 on a paper plate at 150 yards. That was whan I first got it. I bought a bunch of new brass ammo then too. That is all I have ever shot out of it. I have seen a bunch of cheaper pinted and coated casing stuff but haven't had any need to "stock up" any further. Enjoy

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
I prefer the SKS to the AK, as they are usually more accurate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts