Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36,747 Posts
Best bet, as suggested, is to have a 48-hour waiting period after joining and have a mod approve the pending membership. Since AG won't waste five minutes setting that up, the easiest way is to just hit the ignore button. I've found it quite handy lately and not just on account of the recent Chinese bot assault. Works on pesky hard-left trolls too.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Best bet, as suggested, is to have a 48-hour waiting period after joining and have a mod approve the pending membership. Since AG won't waste five minutes setting that up, the easiest way is to just hit the ignore button. I've found it quite handy lately and not just on account of the recent Chinese bot assault. Works on pesky hard-left trolls too.
You can screen new sign ups for X amount of posts... make it so the posts need approving by mod or admin BEFORE they publish on the forum and become pubic. Then they get promoted to posting unlimited once they pass X amount of posts (we can change that in admin to whatever number we want)

In my experience it is the best forum anti spam measure bar none... because rare is a spammer who tries to pretend to be a legitimate member for 3 or 5 posts... usually the first is all you need to see what they are...by 3 its almost a certainty. These guys arent just concentrating on one forum thats why, theyre too busy being prolific on as many forums as they can to try take the time to fake it... not to mention a good majority are non english speaking people. So they reveal themselves from the outset in 99 percent of cases.

And yes it can be done with this xenforo platform, ive already set it up over on phantom bullet, just havent turned it ON so as to not restrict new sign ups at the moment, but if people end up using it at all and I therefore leave it up... the spammers will come... and will be stopped.

·
Deus Ex Machina
27,579 Posts
These guys arent just concentrating on one forum thats why, theyre too busy being prolific on as many forums as they can to try take the time to fake it... not to mention a good majority are non english speaking people.
Seen other forums having large scale spam attacks going on also at the moment for sure.

·
Long Live The King
101,284 Posts
1. How many pushrods are in a SBC?

Or

2. What is the nickname for a BBC?

Or

3. What is Don Garlits nickname?

It needs to be a question a gearhead can answer but not so arcane it won't make sense to someone with less experience. Young people may not know who Don Garlits is, for example. The answer to #1 is 17, although some will say 16.
Gotcha ....

Or .. .Can the Carter AFB carb be used for performance carb ? ;)

Reactions: VTR

·
Long Live The King
101,284 Posts
Can you explain in more detail what is the purpose of the spammer to post on this or any site? What do they gain?
Damn good question.

Anyone throwing that much shit out there should expect to get ignored

Reactions: desoto30

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Can you explain in more detail what is the purpose of the spammer to post on this or any site? What do they gain?
Two reasons for the most part.

1. They want to lead search engines to their sites and/or index their sites or the posts they make.

2. Affilliate links/affiliate marketing... where a person (spammer) propagates links that are unique to them and tied to an account of theirs... if people then follow that specific link, the person who promoted that link is rewarded... sometimes they get rewarded just for getting people to click on the link and hit the destination site, or they get rewared when people buy whatever theyre selling on the other end.

With the affiliate marketing stuff we are talking about a few cents or decimals of cents typically for any kind of target hit... so the spammers have to be prolific all over the internet to try make any kind of decent money.

With the search engine side of things, people offer their services to try help boost the search engine ranking of sites, they get money for putting links out there.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Can you program for 'english only' posts and send everything else to another cue?

·
Registered
31,192 Posts
AG Jef claims the spam problem is fixed, but obviously it isn't. This section was gagged with 1-1/2 pages of gookbabble an hour after he posted saying the problem was cured. What is the real deal?

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
AG Jef claims the spam problem is fixed, but obviously it isn't. This section was gagged with 1-1/2 pages of gookbabble an hour after he posted saying the problem was cured. What is the real deal?
It's Coronavirus.... got the system too.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,409 Posts
thanks chris an monty..i know im sick of the redirect shit everytime im on here on my phone..damn google rewards winning shit an then it keeps me from back clicking so i jabe to close out the browser an then reopen the forum..

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What do you suggest .... how many feet in a 1/4!mile, or what’s a 60ft time, or maybe, can Av Gas be used for racing fuel ? ?
Now you know that Avgas is to dry for race cars. Any bot is going to know the answer to that one. :)

21 - 40 of 52 Posts