Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
YB Managing Editor
51,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/194380/186/Chinese-chopsticks----Made-In-Georgia

AMERICUS, Ga. -- Seems like much of what we buy these days is made in China, everything from laptops to cell phones to ink pens. But an Americus company is turning the tables a bit. They're selling millions of chopsticks to China.

Jae Lee came up with the idea when he found out more than 1 billion Chinese are in desperate need of disposable wooden chopsticks. He tried setting up a factory in other places first.

"We tried to run a chopstick plant in South America and then Canada; we've been looking in a lot of different places," Lee told 11Alive News on Monday.

Originally from South Korea and now living in Duluth, Lee finally settled on Americus. Aside from plenty of willing labor and a welcoming community, he also found the perfect tree. It turns out poplars, which are plentiful in South Central Georgia, are just what he needed. Not too soft and not too hard, poplars don't have to be treated with chemicals.

They give Lee an all natural, just right chopstick made in the USA. In turn, he's giving Americus 150 jobs it desperately needs.

"Our unemployment rate down here is around 12 percent and so any jobs that can be created locally by companies coming in is certainly a boost to our economy," said Americus Mayor Barry Blount.

Georgia Chopsticks was turning out about 2 million a day, but has shut down temporarily. Lee is installing more Korean made machinery so he can reach a goal of 10 million chopsticks by the end of the year. He's not only selling them to China, but also to Japan, Korea and other Asian countries.

All of them made in the only chopstick plant in America.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
So an immigrant comes to America from another country, comes up with a great idea, works hard, fills a need in the market place, makes money and provides jobs for 150 people, all while making a ton of money. Who would have thought you could do such a thing in America?

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,841 Posts
So an immigrant comes to America from another country, comes up with a great idea, works hard, fills a need in the market place, makes money and provides jobs for 150 people, all while making a ton of money. Who would have thought you could do such a thing in America?

hes probably tax free like alot of immagrants ...

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
Show me solid proof of a single immigrant living or working tax-free where an American citizen in the exact same situation couldn't. Show me one. Just one.
I thought all were allowed to live income tax free for their first 5 years of citizenship?

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
I thought all were allowed to live income tax free for their first 5 years of citizenship?
Show proof of that, I'd humbly rescind the following.... It's all just crap spewed by the conservatives who want to lock our borders. Not that I don't agree with some conservative ideas, or with some parts of locking our borders. I just don't agree with people twisting the truth to suit their agenda.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Being closely linked to the immigrant community, the tax breaks don't exist and there are no special loans or grants that I know of that exist to help them create businesses. Perheps there are grants, since there are literally thousands of grants out there, but they aren't commonly known about by those in the immigrant community. It's all just hyperbole spewed by those who have lived here their entire life to justify the fact that an immigrant can come here and work their ass off and become successful in a short period of time when the typical American with no ambition is still working in a warehouse somewhere for minimum wage. What it all comes down to is that they work hard, they sacrifice, and they pool their family resources. That is what makes successful immigrants successful.

·
Registered
29,025 Posts
Some Chines guy getting ready to eat dinner and see "Made in USA" on his wrapper, is going to shit his pant's...

·
Ice Cream Wolfpack
18,500 Posts
Show me solid proof of a single immigrant living or working tax-free where an American citizen in the exact same situation couldn't. Show me one. Just one.
There's a Mexican guy I know named Hugo that lives here without any valid form of ID, he works and gets paid cash, never pays a dime in taxes. When he got a DUI the other day, they had him in the slammer, took his no English speaking ass to court, provided a translator (courteous of me, you, and other taxpayers) and let him off with a small fine and probation.

How about him?

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
There's a Mexican guy I know named Hugo that lives here without any valid form of ID, he works and gets paid cash, never pays a dime in taxes. When he got a DUI the other day, they had him in the slammer, took his no English speaking ass to court, provided a translator (courteous of me, you, and other taxpayers) and let him off with a small fine and probation.

How about him?
You clearly didn't understand a thing I said. Go back and re-read what I posted. You are comparing an illegal immigrant who works under the table to LEGAL immigrants who own businesses LEGALLY, getting breaks from the government that ordinary citizens wouldn't get. Apples and oranges.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts